Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

First of the five eggs in the incubator hatched today! He or she started breaking out when I was leaving for work this morning, and by the time I got home, had finished the job and was just about dried off and trying to hop around. Here's the little puff ball about 10 minutes ago, all dry and fluffy in the brooder:

This is from one of the Barred Rock eggs. So far, no one's breaking out of the Japanese Bantam eggs ... but hopefully the baby will have some company soon!

George

First of the five eggs in the incubator hatched today! He or she started breaking out when I was leaving for work this morning, and by the time I got home, had finished the job and was just about dried off and trying to hop around. Here's the little puff ball about 10 minutes ago, all dry and fluffy in the brooder:

This is from one of the Barred Rock eggs. So far, no one's breaking out of the Japanese Bantam eggs ... but hopefully the baby will have some company soon!

George
Awwww! So cute!

Well 3 of the little fellas didn't make it through the night. 2 looked like they were near death when I got them home and was almost positive they weren't gonna make it. The third was a surprise death. But the good news is I still have 9 that are eating and drinking and appear to be doing just fine. Keep your fingers crossed.
Rich, sorry to hear that three didn't make it. Sounds the others are doing well. Always hard to have deaths when we are raising animals.

George
A big congrats, George! Hatching is something I'd like to try one day. Very cute looking bird. Good luck with the other four.

Careful, George.
You start off small, and then OOPS, you can't get enough of them
tongue.png

Forget careful its hopeless.You think that we're one big self help group but we are really a Chicken Enabler program that you don't need medical insurance to attend.I started out with 3 and now have 10. Still need to get rid of those roos. My friend with the Black Copper Marans that I gave her last year is expecting her eggs to start hatching in a day or 2 and she said I can have a hen if she gets an extra. #11 See what I mean. Some people have their crack we have are CLUCK.... GOTTA LOVE IT (NOT A TYPIST)

A big congrats, George! Hatching is something I'd like to try one day. Very cute looking bird. Good luck with the other four.

I have so many I can't even count them all.
Unless you are from the town.
6 hens, that's all, sir. 6
gig.gif

And I have lots of Marans girls that will need homes.
These are my culls, so we will call them "dark egg layers"
They may not be show quality...

Suzanne, looks like 2 and 2
barnie.gif

I have so many I can't even count them all.
Unless you are from the town.
6 hens, that's all, sir. 6
gig.gif

And I have lots of Marans girls that will need homes.
These are my culls, so we will call them "dark egg layers"
They may not be show quality...

Suzanne, looks like 2 and 2
barnie.gif

How old are the marans and are you keeping both the lavorp hens? If so, I can wait for the next generation!

Back
Top Bottom