Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

That Newsday article (I didn't read it yet), Carolyn 252 was interviewed for it.
Now I'll have to read the paper.
DH usually reads it to me.

That article had theirs birds mixed up, was the rhode island red right? def not the "black" australorp and the "black" maran. I've never heard of an australorp being anything but black!
big_smile.png

Yeah, Newsday scares me in the fact department. Another reason I don't make a habit of reading it.
Or any other paper. The news is too scary lately. I'd rather bury my head in the sand.

Finally finished reading all the posts from yesterday. You guys were busy in the bidding war department. I smell an addiction here, big time! I have to keep telling myself not to get started with trying to hatch eggs, but I know it is useless to resist forever. Nice to see all of you having such a great time.

Suzanne, sounds like you had a good time at Stormville. We wound up replacing the siding and shutters on the house that got damaged when the tree fell during Irene. Our two sons did all the work and I got tired just holding the ladder and getting beat up from the wind. we were going to go down toward the city and figured we can do that another week. The siding really needed to be fixed.

I think we solved the festher picking problem. The girls have taken to the peepers and have not had any ill effects. They have been laying as they usually do, too. It's all good.

Al, I'm glad the peepers worked. Maybe it will break their habit. I've noticed my older chick eating her own fluff as her feathers come in. Its weird to think of digesting feathers as a protein source but I guess it works. From what I understand that's what's in a lot of dog food.

I can't imagine hatching a whole bunch of eggs. I like having just the small flock. Maybe it has to with the ages of my kids. They let the hamster escape again this weekend for like the fifth time. Now there are locks on the cage doors. Whew. At least they can't let the fish loose.

Oh no! Just realized my Ameraucana
will be on day 20 lockdown the day of
Sussex show. Darn it.
They won't hatch early will they lol

ah never mind, I have a member meeting that
day for my organic farm CSA. Joined so chickens
have lots of fresh veggies to eat. Hahaha

Darn it !!

Last edited:
Well it appears to be that 6 of my 9 straight run BO's are roo's. 3 maybe for are not spoken for. Anyone interested in free roo's.

Those are bad odds, sorry but I wish I could, I'd love to propagate my older buff orps to get some babies from them, sweetest birds ever (to me anyway). **** town laws. I need a real farm.

I think one of my three chicks who I got from Suzanne who got them from a hatchery who said they were 90% sexed might be a roo. Time will tell but I've got my eyes on the little sucker. If only there was a way to get them to not crow!

Rooster in the basement is a great idea! If I had a basement, I would definitely do that ... They're not banned here in Islip, but the boys can be noisy, so the basement would be a great solution.

Also ... thanks again to everyone for the condolences on Loretta yesterday. I especially appreciate what you said Al. You like to think you're doing the best for them, but you always doubt yourself when you lose one, so it's always nice to hear that you did the right thing.

George

Back
Top Bottom