Spaghetti sauce recipe for those who wanted it-

TerriLaChicks

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Central Louisiana
To answer a question I was asked--to skin fresh tomatoes w/o roasting them, pour boiling water over them & let them set a minute, the skins will slip right off. If you're only doing a few, you can scrape the skin w/a knife blade & it sort of bruises it & also makes it easier to peel.

Mom's Italian Tomato Sauce

3 stalks celery
1 bell pepper
1 onion
3 cloves peeled garlic
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 (12 oz) can tomato paste
1 large can tomatoes (or 10-12 fresh peeled)
4 cans (12 oz) water
salt & pepper to taste
3 tablespoons sugar (start with 1 & then add to taste; some people like their sauce sweeter than others)
1 teaspoon sweet basil
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
fresh finely chopped mint if you can get it.

Saute' onions, bell pepper, celery & garlic in olive oil. Add tomato paste, stirring often for about 5 minutes. Add rest of ingredients, let come to a boil, lower fire & cook 1-2 hours, add liquid if it gets too thick. Serves 4-6, easy to double, freezes well.

Meatballs
3 pounds ground meat
3 ounces Italian breadcrumbs
4 eggs
4 ounces grated Romano cheese
2 medium chopped onions
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
2 stalks finely chopped celery
1 tablespoon sweet basil
a generous dash of salt & pepper
finely chopped fresh mint if you can get it.

Mix all ingredients, shape into balls. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes; turning after 15 minutes. makes about 20 meatballs. freezes well.

Family variations:
Johnsonville hot or sweet Italian sausage grilled is a nice substitute for meatballs.

Pepperoni slices also make a nice & different variation.

You can add fresh mushrooms or artichoke hearts or black olives & change up the flavor if you like.

We like to add fresh basil leaves when we have them; remember you need to use 2-3 times as much as dried basil if you do so.

For the smoked tomato sauce, as I said in my tomato soup post, line a baking pan w/tin foil, toss tomatoes & peeled garlic cloves with olive oil, a pinch of thyme & basil, & roast at about 450 for about 30-45 minutes--until they start to char black slightly. Then remove & slip the peels off the tomatoes & squeeze the garlic paste out of the cloves & add that to your sauce.
In a time crunch; I've started with Paul Newman's Sockarooni or Ragu 7-Herb for my 'base' & added the smoked tomatoes & garlic & it came out very well.

Hope this helps; any questions please PM me & I'll try to answer in a logical form!

This sounds wonderful!!!

I love good homemade spaghetti sauce. I'm just starting my fall garden, hopefully I'll have lots of tomatoes to make goodies like this with to put in the freezer.

Thanks for posting.

Thank You Terri....

I was one of the ones who requested the recipe....

Another thing I have added to my sauce for variation, every once in awhile... usually, when its just me cause my kids never liked them, is eggplant.

I usually use the long purple Japanese eggplant, vice the Italian eggplant. They seem to keep better in the sauce instead of turning all mushy...

Just thought I would add that, for those that have lots of leftover eggplant.

and I love the pepperoni in a ziti bake.. kids just love that!!

Athena

I just made a Word document of your tomato sauce and meatballs recipe. Mmmmmmmmmm... sounds gooood. I've printed it out for Anne. Hopefully she can make some for dinner while our daughter is visiting from Florida.

No oregano - now, here's the thing--every one of my relatives makes their sauce a little bit different--I can actually taste it & tell who made it! one adds more basil & makes it a bit sweeter, one adds red pepper flakes & makes it spicier--

so, this is just Mom's particular version. Nobody really measures anything either, I did that one day so I'd have a frame of reference. So, if you want to add a different spice, take a tablespoon or two after it's cooked a few minutes & add some to taste & see if you like it & then go from there. I HAVE overdone it "experimenting"--I found out a long time, less is better, esp when you are using fresh ingredients.

The baking soda makes it less 'gassy' - like in dried beans. If you add a heaping teaspoon of baking soda to your dried beans when you are soaking them overnight, they will not be as 'gassy'. Don't rinse them off the next day before you cook them, just put them straight into the crockpot.

Anne said to tell you thanks and that she will probably add some oregano because she has a big patch of it in the backyard that never gets used. She's going to make it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom