Splayed Legged Chicks

How could I know if it's a tendon?

Most slipped tendons will cause the chick to have one leg turned out and sometimes will hold it slightly back. There are a handful of leg bone deformities in chickens, and you can google that phrase to find several good links to read. Then Google slipped tendon for other links. Splay leg is when both legs will not stay together.

Last edited:
I thought I would add an experience here concerning a bobwhite quail chick I have that has this. The chick now is almost 2 weeks old. Being as tiny as Bobwhites are as chicks I opted to see if the condition would correct on its own.
I did put some electrolytes and vitamins in the water for 4 days after they started drinking but now just plain water.
The chick is a runt, a lot smaller than the rest but is eating and drinking. It wobbles when it walks and when it lays down, then the legs sprawl out.
I don't think this chick will die because it has splayed legs. Time will tell I guess. It's not being picked on but always snuggles up to the largest chick which is a few days older and already sprouting feathers.

My chicks are now 12 weeks old, more or less. I successfully treated my chicks weak legs and don't really know which two they were. One of my chickens lays down a lot more than the others, so she may be one of the chicks I treated with baby vitamins. I gave the vitamins to them for two weeks, and was also putting chopped garlic in the water, for added healing power. So glad all my 6 chicks have made it this far!!
smile.png

hello kelle rae .i need some help from you .i have flock of 15 chickens in which 10 are newly bought baby white chicks and rest are elder chickens of different age groups all are young.10 baby chicks are 1 and 1/2 weak old all are healthy i feed them clean feed and water 4 time a day,but actually initially they were 11,one of them died by splayed leg what i observe ,now in remaining 10 ,one more is slightly disbalancing while roaming ,his voice is changing in unhappy mood what should i do? need help before his condition get worse.thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by amber91
I tried several things. Not sure what really helped in the long run, but I got some all purpose baby vitamins without iron and fed them a drop in the morning and in the evening. I also put mashed garlic in their water for about a month. I replaced the garlic clove every few days.

Another thing that I did for my chicks was putting them in a translucent plastic storage box and kept it in a window so they got direct sun for awhile in the afternoon. On days that were sunny and above 45 degrees (this was last March), we went outside and I let them loose in a large bottomless cardboard box to get more sunshine, to peck at the grass, and to get better excercise.

I tried taping their legs together, but the tape kept sticking to their legs where the tape was hard to get off and was a mess. Maybe someone could be more specific on the leg taping thing, but I gave up on the taping after a few days. My chicks all grew up being healthy and walking properly.

hello kelle rae .i need some help from you .i have flock of 15 chickens in which 10 are newly bought baby white chicks and rest are elder chickens of different age groups all are young.10 baby chicks are 1 and 1/2 weak old all are healthy i feed them clean feed and water 4 time a day,but actually initially they were 11,one of them died by splayed leg what i observe ,now in remaining 10 ,one more is slightly disbalancing while roaming ,his voice is changing in unhappy mood what should i do? need help before his condition get worse.thanks in advance.

Go back to post # 13, and read those links. They use strips of vet wrap, which is easier to remove if you just want to check the legs or reposition them.

Back
Top Bottom