Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
2 hours, I would go get them myself, save the stress and shipping cost.

Welcome, looking forward to pics later

Gary from Idyllwild ca here

Gary, thanks for the advise on picking up my new chicks, was well worth the drive even though was raining hard. The chicks
1f425.png
were all healthy and thriving no stress, this is their 5th day and they're all bouncing like balls
1f3c0.png
in their brooder.

I would love to see a picture. What kind did you get?

I wasn't expecting them till Wed or Thursday but got to pick them up Monday, Meyer called early and said they hatched between Sunday night & early Monday. I called off work and off to pick them up, wife said I lost it.
I got beautiful Black Copper Marans, Australorps, Welsummers, Easter Eggers and a meal maker freebie buff Orpington. The 3 salmon Faverolle didn't hatched.
1f615.png

I wasn't expecting them till Wed or Thursday but got to pick them up Monday, Meyer called early and said they hatched between Sunday night & early Monday. I called off work and off to pick them up, wife said I lost it.
I got beautiful Black Copper Marans, Australorps, Welsummers, Easter Eggers and a meal maker freebie buff Orpington. The 3 salmon Faverolle didn't hatched.
1f615.png

Bummer about the Salmon Faverolles. Your chicks all look so fluffy! I will be getting my birds in April. I am getting an Australorp, Welsummer, Easter Egger, and Meyer Mealmaker. I'm hoping my meal maker will also be a Buff Orpington, but will be happy with whatever they send.

@Magnolia7330 ha ha h are you trying to copy me LOL, why wait for April?
haha. I thought that was funny we were getting the same kind. I can only have 4 chicks and Meyer doesn't ship orders of less that 15 until April. I don't want to get them from the local stores. My coworker did that last year and had a very high rate of getting boys. I can't have roosters where I live. I'm in the suburbs. Our city just approved chickens in October.

Last edited:
I would agree with the broody raised chicks are much easier, however unless you have the ability to hold and interact with them a lot, the broody raised chicks are much more wiley and not nearly as friendly.

I'm planning on spending a lot of time with them. Another reason I'm starting my own flock is that the closest thing I've had to a hobby is video games and after twenty years and thousands of dollars I have nothing to show for it. I want something I can invest my time, money and effort and maybe work towards something bigger. When I sink my teeth into something I can be very tenacious (as Fallout 3 discovered 650+ hours in). If I can put that much into sitting on my backside with my face stuffed in a TV it should be interesting to see what happens when it's something real. I have four, possibly five breeding projects I want to work toward. I know it's going to take some time and a lot of work, but I can't wait to get started. April needs to hurry up and get here!!! :p

Hi Everybody, and Welcome new peeps!!! Been busy here but the chicks are doing well. We still have 8 after losing the one to accident. They're really starting to feather out and should be ready to start integration out to the coop in about a week or so.

I have my fitst chicken! Coop being delivered separately this evening so she is in large hutch till the morning. Im in love already. This is rocky.

Back
Top Bottom