Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
My chicks are here! They are all Orpingtons.

I ended up with 11!

4 chocolate
1 chocolate cuckoo
1 blue mottled
1 black mottle
2 jubilee
2 black

The breeder said that 3 of the chocolate ones are definitely female, since they are sex-linked. (I think that means the black ones are male). The others are straight run.

I gave 7 of them to the broody hen and I'm keeping 4 inside. (I might try giving one more to the hen if I can stand to be separated, haha!) I love them but I know it's so much easier to have the hen raise them, and it does get messy having them inside.

@Honora
SUPER cute
1f60d.png
! Congrats
1f60a.png

[/IMG]

Just got 2 Black Copper Marans today. Monday or Tuesday I get 2 Ameraucana and then the following week 2 Barred rocks, 1 RIR and 1 Silver laced Wyandotte. First time chicken owner !!

Last edited:
I got my 6 chicks from Rural King 10 days ago. I have no idea what breed I got - it was just put my hand in the tub and grab whoever I could! They can really move fast.

In any event, they are eating me out of house and home, they are growing like weeds.

They are still a little afraid of me, however their comfort level has improved a little in the last day or two.

This picture was taken on the way home from Rural King. Meet (clockwise) Lila, Myrtle, Rosie, Iris, Matilda and Goldie.

I also am using a Chick Heating Pad which was mentioned in one of the other posts. It works really well, the chicks love it and I'm not worried I'm going to burn my garage down.

Last edited:
Hey folks! Thoughts I'd share the experience we've had over the past 24 hours with a chick that came in our box and had (has still) a wry neck, or I think also called stargazing. Since many of us on this thread are totally new to chicks, it may be useful to hear my experience.

First, we ordered 25 and received 27 chicks (yay!). All were like champions out of the box, but one. She stumbled and sat and was listless. I put her beak in the water several times and then decided to just let her sit for a bit. Whenever she'd try to get up, she'd stumble around. She started flipping over onto her back. Within hours she had this horrible neck bent over back thing going on and was squawking. It was breaking my heart! I kept trying to water her and give her electrolytes. I moved her into a separate box because the other chicks were now pecking her and knocking her around. She was unable to get the food into her mouth. My son looked online and learned about stargazing or wry neck and so we put some brewer's yeast in water and fed it to her. We also made a small "box" to put her body in an immobilize it so should wasn't flopping backwards, which also helped her drinking. I asked for advice on BYC and got some good tops, but most involve getting Nutri Drench or Vitamins, which I can't do until later this morning. By the time we went to bed, her poor little body was bent completely backwards but she was resting under a tiny stuffed animal we'd put in with her for comfort. I figured she'd be gone this morning and I was totally ok (almost relieved!) with it.

As sure as I am writing this now, that chick was STANDING UP when I walked out to the brooder this morning! She is still stumbling, but she is completely upright now. Still having a rough go eating and drinking so I am making her an egg and I put her beak in water every 20 mins or so.

If she makes it ... her name is definitely going to be Stargazer.

D.gif

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your chick with wry neck but it sounds like you are doing everything you can. Thank you for posting as this is exactly the kind of info that will help all us newbies out. Keep us in the loop..

So many cute chickie babies I don't know where to start! WOW this thread has exploded!
celebrate.gif

A couple things...

I see a few people getting Barnevelders on this thread, if you can would you mind posting a picture of the chick? I have no idea what the chicks look like and I ordered one. Also if anyone had a Swedish Flower Hen I would love to see those too.

Anyone order from Meyer? I did and Im wondering how long it took for you chicks to arrive. Mine are due to hatch monday 3/13 and Im trying to figure out if I should take Tuesday off or not. Im in Massachusetts. Maybe I should just start another thread for this question.

Also anyone who ordered from Meyer, did you receive extra chicks? I mean more than you ordered? I ordered 15 plus one meal maker and just curious if I will receive more as Im only planning on keeping about 8.

Thanks friends

So many cute chickie babies I don't know where to start! WOW this thread has exploded!
celebrate.gif

A couple things...

I see a few people getting Barnevelders on this thread, if you can would you mind posting a picture of the chick? I have no idea what the chicks look like and I ordered one. Also if anyone had a Swedish Flower Hen I would love to see those too.

Anyone order from Meyer? I did and Im wondering how long it took for you chicks to arrive. Mine are due to hatch monday 3/13 and Im trying to figure out if I should take Tuesday off or not. Im in Massachusetts. Maybe I should just start another thread for this question.

Also anyone who ordered from Meyer, did you receive extra chicks? I mean more than you ordered? I ordered 15 plus one meal maker and just curious if I will receive more as Im only planning on keeping about 8.

Thanks friends
It sure has, this is the 900th post!

I had no idea when I started it it would blow up loke this!

I am the last to get my chicks, 27 days away...

Gary

Back
Top Bottom