Spring 2017 first timers post!

just wondering what kind of chick is the one thats in the long feeder by itself... the black one with the white tips because it looks like one of mine and I have no idea what it is

That one is Becky, she's a White Crested Black Polish!
This photo is a week old, new pics coming soon enough.

One week from today, GULP! Here is a short update of our coop/run project.

First pic is BB laying out perimeter foundation.
Second pic is the start of the coop.
3rd pic is the interior of the coop with temp location of nesting box and first roost.
4th is painting the exterior. Still have man door, chick door, windows, and stairs to go.
Final chores is to final the run fencing, put roofing over run for sun/rain, and winged predator protection. Ramps, perches, and who knows what else we have forgotten.
D.gif

woot.gif
woot.gif
It is looking fabulous!!! Those babies are going to be spoiled. It looks huge too! How big is it? Love the pup in the picture too
love.gif

Our current setup to accommodate the fast growing meaties and multi-size layers! Two MHP and just a 24w regular bulb for added light in a dimly lit garage during waking hours.

Eta the water was clean before I turned around to pick up my phone to take a photo, I saw it as soon as I took the photo, and it was cleaned right afterwards
1f609.png
lau.gif
Its a full time job! The days Im not working I cleaned the brooder about 7 times and no sooner did I lay down the paper towels they were all poopy again. They want to see us work!

This thread is getting me excited! I'm just built my kit coop & have plans to paint & strengthen it, and am probably going to pick up my first chicks a week from this Sunday, yippee! I'm only going to get 3 pullets, and I'm hoping the feed store has three of the six on my list, pullets rather than straight run: Black Australop, Road Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, SA Browns, Black Sex Link or Red Sex Link. If not I might consider ordering them, but I'd rather pick up and bring home than risk shipping, and not knowing when they are going to get here...

My coop at the moment (pre-modifications):

Last edited:
One week from today, GULP! Here is a short update of our coop/run project.

First pic is BB laying out perimeter foundation.
Second pic is the start of the coop.
3rd pic is the interior of the coop with temp location of nesting box and first roost.
4th is painting the exterior. Still have man door, chick door, windows, and stairs to go.
Final chores is to final the run fencing, put roofing over run for sun/rain, and winged predator protection. Ramps, perches, and who knows what else we have forgotten.
D.gif

Wow! That's pretty darn awesome!

Awww mine looks so similar but doesn't have the crest on the top but she is so cute
I actually got my first meat birds yesterday along with two ducks and two itty bitty bantams named them short round and half pint will follow up with pictures soon

I introduced my 10-year-old lab to the chicks today. It was absolutely HILARIOUS!! He didn't know whether to eat them, play with them, or run away. I have 12 chicks and a 10-chicken coop that I still need to put together. I plan to let them have time to free range though when they get a bit bigger.

Pretty sure I picked up a rooster lol. I'll upload pics if and when I can. I can't upload from my phone no matter how I log onto the site.

:lau   Its a full time job!  The days Im not working I cleaned the brooder about 7 times and no sooner did I lay down the paper towels they were all poopy again.   They want to see us work!

Lol, too true! 18 butts that poop every few minutes, add in chicken instincts to scratch and dustbathe kicking in and this mama is having to check on them quite often! And they still think I'm an awful ogre and refuse to enjoy cuddles :p Haha!

Heavens that's a cute chick!

She is so utterly adorable. She has huge wings and a teensy little body!

I introduced my 10-year-old lab to the chicks today.  It was absolutely HILARIOUS!! He didn't know whether to eat them, play with them, or run away.  I have 12 chicks and a 10-chicken coop that I still need to put together.  I plan to let them have time to free range though when they get a bit bigger.  

Pretty sure I picked up a rooster lol.  I'll upload pics if and when I can.  I can't upload from my phone no matter how I log onto the site. 

Lol, I'm quite thankful our short dachshund x blue heeler hasn't quite decided on eating ours yet...Hopefully never. ;)

Back
Top Bottom