Spring 2017 first timers post!

Here's the flock! The top chicks were an impulse buy a few days ago. The bottom pick is the integrated flock- the full size birds were bought a week earlier than the silkies and frizzle. They were kept separate until 2 weeks ago at 9ish weeks old. The black frizzle is the smallest, but guards them all well. Believe it or not, he didn't look like a rooster until just a few days ago.
Love your little roo! What a cute little guy.

I am happy they had a fast trip too, I really did not expect them until tomorrow.

Thanks

Gary

I do find it hilarious that chicks shipped to us both yesterday from Meyer, you're across the country and I'm about 5 hours away.... and your chicks arrived a day before mine are expected to! Lolol!
1f601.png

I do find it hilarious that chicks shipped to us both yesterday from Meyer, you're across the country and I'm about 5 hours away.... and your chicks arrived a day before mine are expected to! Lolol!
1f601.png

I am thinking it was the alignment of mail hubs.... But I am blown away by how fast they got here.

Gary

It took me way too many hours BEFORE I accepted my construction failings and said, "it is only a chicken coop"! That helped the mental health and moved things along a bit faster. Our coop is FINISHED! Put pine shavings in today and are contemplating if we should block off some of the floor space or not as we are getting close to putting the kids in the coop. Ours is 6 x 10 for 9 chicks.

Out of curiousity...did you use the large bags of pine shavings you can get at a feed store? If so, how many did you need for the coop and run?

Mine came on the 9:30 truck!! All are doing well so far
1f389.png

BTW... I cranked up the Mozart on the 25 minute drive back home & they all quit chirping like crazy & went to sleep within 5 minutes
1f923.png

This batch is from Meyer and are:
11 CXR
1 Silver Pencilled Rock: Maudie
1 Welsummer: Millie
3 Olive Eggers: Sage, Vera & Olivia
3 RIR (for my neighbor)

Last edited:
I got to the PO just as the truck pulled up.

And so it begins....

Home in the brooder, they are all chirping and drinking and eating. I tried but could not seem to get the nutridrench drops in them, it's in the water though.

We're in love

I've put them all under the heat plate once, it's not cold in the coop and they don't seem to need the heat right now. No loud peeping, no distressed chicks that I can tell

2764.png

Gary

Spoke too soon, I got them under the heat again and this time they stayed, practically quiet now....

So exciting! I'll be curious to find out what your Meyer Mealmaker is. I will be getting one too. My chicks come in 1 week!

Mine came on the 9:30 truck!! All are doing well so far
1f389.png

BTW... I cranked up the Mozart on the 25 minute drive back home & they all quit chirping like crazy & went to sleep within 5 minutes
1f923.png

This batch is from Meyer and are:
11 CXR
1 Silver Pencilled Rock
1 Welsummer
3 Olive Eggers
3 RIR (for my neighbor)

I would have that trip at 930 too. Glad all are safe and sound!

Oh my word, my 4wk old Easter egger just flew to the top of their 3ft tall brooder and perched on the 2x4 their babycake treat (that they ignore) is strung from!
1f631.png
I quickly shooed her back in (the garage was wide open!) And placed some strips of extra hardware cloth over the top to discourage her from trying again! I was wondering when that was going to happen as they are all really well feathered out.

Back
Top Bottom