Spring 2017 first timers post!

HI, I have just read through this page and will have to start at the beginning but not enough time right now. My chicks were shipped today so have to finish up the top for the brooder and do another check on the temps in case they arrive tomorrow. Mostly new at this but did have chicks back in the 80's who were all killed by coyotes as teens and have not had any since. I no longer have family at home to insist on no chickens. LOL Still have a coop to build, planned out, some supplies bought, much to do yet.

Didn't read everyone's posts yet but figured I'd say hey, it's my first time being a chicken mom this spring as well :). We just finished building our coop and the girls are enjoying the outdoors during the day!

So I took the ladies out to visit the coop for a little bit (their first visit!) and apparently the place to be was on me! What you can't see in this picture is that as soon as I set down my phone two more jumped on my other arm and the last two were perched on my legs. Apparently they do love me, no matter how much they squawk when I pick them up

Attachments

• WP_20170531_014.jpg
    WP_20170531_014.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 14
@bajabirdbrain Hi Friends, Happy to hear all is going well with your chick adventure. As a fellow birder where you live sounds lovely. Do you both enjoy birding? When my husband and I first met he thought I was crazy always having my binoculars with me etc. But it grew on him. He even got me on the beach on a very cold April day many moons ago to propose by telling me there was a "rare bird" sighting and we just had to go see. I fell for it all the way. I often remind him when he's grumpy about my animals that our courtship was built on going birding and going to dog shows so he knewexactly what he was getting into :) Haven't been on the forum much, my son is graduating high school and my oldest is home from graduate school and my youngest is busy with her two softball teams and I am stumbling along trying to figure out the new format. Chicks are doing well and I'm currently trying to rehome my two cockerels. Ill try to post some updated pictures below. Im sorry to see my gorgeous barred rock and swedish flower cockerel go but my swedish flower, Mr. Magoo, has been crowing. Its not super loud yet but I have a feeling my neighbors will be cranky about it so....

Those pictures are huge! Obviously, Im still trying to figure out the new format sorry:rolleyes:

Mouse: I share your pain in trying to figure out the new format, grrrrr. On the rooster issue we had a problem with a neighbor's rooster last year before we got our girls. He lives directly behind our house and his rooster would start crowing at 4am and during warm periods we sleep with our bedroom window open. Well after getting woken up several days in a row we had a chat, voicing our displeasure and suggesting several solutions, #1, putting the rooster in a coop at night, and #2 is get a No Crow Collar. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=no+crow+rooster+collar

Not sure what method he took but whichever, and I think it was the collar, it has worked out just fine. We don't mind the crowing during the day.

Maybe this would allow you to keep your boy. BB

Hi Merrymouse! Your Barred Rock boy would like my Barred Rock girl, Rhonda Lee. Here she is today with my New Hampshire Red, Brandy Mae. So I have 11 birds who are just about 10 weeks old and all appear to be pullets! At what age did Mr. Magoo start crowing? He is so beautiful! Give the no crow collar a try. It really quieted the neighbor's rooster. He still crows but with much less volume. I will PM you if I can figure out how :) W

Attachments

• IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    772.8 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom