Square Foot Gardening Thread

Everyone's garden looks so great! Ours went rampant b/c we have tropical weather here, lots of rain and sunshine so it never stops growin my cucumber vines are probably 30ft long, I can't tell anymore b/c everything is all twisted!

My daughter and I with our daily collections, sweet potatoes and okra!
22622_img_4733.jpg

My hunny trying to get to the okra
22622_img_4727.jpg

Last edited:
hollymh, those are awesome pictures!!!

My garden is doing very well. We have a "wild" rabbit that is living in our gardens. We can get within 2 feet of him, so my daughter has named him "tomato". I don't mind a nibble here and there, but geez! I have NO lettuce, even after planting it twice. We should've named him Lettuce! Tomato the rabbit has become one of the family, so the most drastic thing I can do is put chicken wire around the garden. He is cute, though.

Quote:
I feel your pain, we have one too, my husband won't let anything happen to him/her and it is eating all my beans, several times. Our doesn't have a name, but if I were forced to I would probably name it @*%$#!

Quote:
Chickens.....
big_smile.png

Okay seriously....hehe, is there anyway you can fence off just the veggie beds and let the chickens come and eat the grass hoppers? Craigslist for some free used plastic construction fencing would probably work.

Quote:
No Lo bait. It's an organic flake that you sprinkle in your garden. The grasshoppers eat it and it keeps them from forming chiton. Chiton makes their shells harden when they molt. Grasshoppers molt dozens of times in the growing process. The sooner you get it down, the quicker your problem disappears. Chiton is also used in the egg casing....without it the eggs won't hatch, thus saving you trouble next year.
Won't hurt your chickens or beneficial insects. It's got a limited shelf life of 6 weeks so make sure when you buy it that it is current.

Quote:
No Lo bait. It's an organic flake that you sprinkle in your garden. The grasshoppers eat it and it keeps them from forming chiton. Chiton makes their shells harden when they molt. Grasshoppers molt dozens of times in the growing process. The sooner you get it down, the quicker your problem disappears. Chiton is also used in the egg casing....without it the eggs won't hatch, thus saving you trouble next year.
Won't hurt your chickens or beneficial insects. It's got a limited shelf life of 6 weeks so make sure when you buy it that it is current.

Interesting. Is it considered a "natural remedy" like milky spore for grubs? Or is it an insecticide?

Quote:

Interesting. Is it considered a "natural remedy" like milky spore for grubs? Or is it an insecticide?

No Lo Bait is not an insecticide and it's not a "natural remedy" but it is organic. It's considered an enzyme. It was developed for agricultural use. Studies were conducted in fields where strips were treated with the bait and alternating strips were not. The carry over effect into the un treated strips was from lack of egg develpment and reduced hatch the following spring. Studies also show that birds or reptiles that eat a grasshopper that has ingested the bait showed no affects since they don't produce chiton. I use it in the flower beds as well as the vegetable garden. I also sprinkle it around the edges of the garden and yard to knock out wayward grasshoppers. I have found it at TLC Nurseries in Oklahoma.

Quote:

No Lo Bait is not an insecticide and it's not a "natural remedy" but it is organic. It's considered an enzyme. It was developed for agricultural use. Studies were conducted in fields where strips were treated with the bait and alternating strips were not. The carry over effect into the un treated strips was from lack of egg develpment and reduced hatch the following spring. Studies also show that birds or reptiles that eat a grasshopper that has ingested the bait showed no affects since they don't produce chiton. I use it in the flower beds as well as the vegetable garden. I also sprinkle it around the edges of the garden and yard to knock out wayward grasshoppers. I have found it at TLC Nurseries in Oklahoma.

Sounds like a miracle powder! Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom