Square Foot Gardening Thread

My husband and I just took a romantic stroll through our garden. We used to do this nearly every night before our babies. They are 16 months and 7 weeks old and use up a lot of our physical and mental energy. We got them to bed tonight, cleaned up the dishes from dinner and got outside with the dogs. Our garden has a way of reconnecting and centering us as a couple. Take a relaxing look at your gardens soon. Ignore the weeds and pests, and enjoy it for the beauty of feeding you.

Beets I harvested and roasted for dinner tonight.

Here's my square foot garden-

I converted my old sandbox into a square foot garden by simply mixing some dirt from around my house (I know you're not supposed to do that but dirt is expensive), about 10 bags of top soil from my local grocery store, and the sand that was already in it ( there wasn't that much left in it). I then put some nails a foot apart all the way around and used regular yarn I had in the basement to make the grid. There are watermelon, tomato, cantaloupe, radish, been, carrot, marigold, swiss chard, squash, and cabbage plants in it.

There are watermelon...
I'm so jealous of your watermelons! Ours consistently get eaten by the chipmunks as seedlings....so despite my every attempt, I've yet to grow a watermelon plant beyond 3wks or so. I even put out transplants this spring (nearly a foot high!) and the frick,frack chipmunks ate those too! Grrrrrrr......

Garden is gorgeous! (And we used our own soil also...it's been here forever, so why not?!)

Hi everyone! I love the pictures and advice on here. This year is my first time gardening and I'm using the square foot method all the way to the soil mixture. My veggies are very sparse and extremely tiny. I'm talking bell peppers smaller than golf balls. The two 4x4 raised beds are in full sun. I even did companion planting. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks! This will be my first even partially successful garden!

When should I pick the watermelon(I know I'm jumping the gun since there's not even flowers but ill have to know eventually)

Last edited:
I went from over watering to under watering. Now I've finally found balance. My garden has been going since March. I have used an organic veggie fertilizer as well as liquid fish goop. I'm wondering if I should abandon Mel's chart and plant farther apart? Maybe I would get larger veggies?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom