Square Foot Gardening Thread

I was just out in my garden, and I'm loving how much growth I see already.

Does anyone here use the vertical trellis for tomatoes and/or squash, and if you do could you please share a picture? I am trouble imagining how to prune them to work with the vertical gardening. DH doesn't know it yet, but we'll be putting up the trellis today. How I love him - he does whatever I ask. I am very lucky!

I am sorry to hear about the lack of rain people are having. We have the exact opposite, but I can see my SFGs love it!

Is anyone affected by tornados that our country seems to be afflicted with? We actually literally had one touch down about 1 mile from my house. The National Weather Service confirmed it. Nobody died here, but I sure see a lot of trees down. One home lost an entire roof. I had no damage whatsoever. I was outside rounding up the chickens in the horrendous wind - my daughter was screaming "Mommy! Get inside!". I felt so much like Auntie Em from the Wizard of Oz! My SFG survived just fine! We also brought all of the rabbits inside.

We don't use a trellis, but my grandpa uses cattle panels. They are about $20 and are 16 feet long. You can stake them up with T-posts and let anything that climbs grow up the panel. When the plants are spent, you can leave the panels up or take them down.

Pictures of the garden. Not real happy at the moment.
somad.gif

Baby Cucumber.

gr2.jpg

Beans and Peppers looking good.

gr3.jpg

Something scalped my cherry 'mater!!

gr4.jpg

Bantams were on the loose today.

loose.jpg

This one?!

p1.jpg

Nope!

Maybe this one??!!

roo.jpg

Nope!

This one!!

gr.jpg

No not the little bitty chick but the horn worm it's about to devour!! Paybacks are a B****!!

How do you deal with stinkbugs?!

Quote:
Chickens love to eat them . . . so sometimes we personally deliver them a handful. We hand pull them and save them in a ziploc bag until we are done.

Sometimes I pick them up and slam them against the wood fence that borders the garden - - instant death AND it makes me feel better!
wink.png

Lastly, we SPRAY for them. They are a tough kill and NEEM oil DOES NOT cut it on them. We use insecticides with Peremethrin as the main ingredient.

I bring a 2 lt soda bottle w/ the top cut off w/ me into the garden and all bad bugs go in then when I have a few the girls get them.

Quote:
I know how you feel about the hornworms, BUT they turn into a beautiful hummingbird moth!!!!
hmm.png

Last edited:
I might start a brand new garden soon.
I got some questions. Is it too late to put my potted plants in a SFG?
Would it be ok for now to use bagged soil from a store?
How did you start without having compost?

Quote:
Reading, as in PA? Outlet Capitol of the Northeast??!! lol. I used to work for Vision Quest out in Leesport.

Check the area for some farms and dairies. There is alway manure around. Make your best with newspaper, manure, and topsoil, in that order. Once you plant your plants or your seeds have set their 2nd set of leaves, cover the area with shredded paper or straw. I use the shreds from documents that get in my cross-cut shredder. It really helps keep the beds moist. I've added drip irrigation to mine. Actually a soaker hose that wasn't soaking, I poked little holes and added drippers.

@ CoyoteMagic

Jepp you are right
wink.png
Reading PA. So I think you are no more around here?

Thank you so much for your help, will see how I get some cow**** lol. The idea with the paper is fantastic
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom