Standoff-ish chicks

shelbylewis

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
SJ New Jersey
So as I said earlier I am new to raising backyard chickens.. I know that all chickens are different but I wanted to see if anyone else notices the same behavior in their chickens. My girls (not sure if I have a roo yet, so for now they are all girls) don’t really want much to do with me during the day unless I have treats for them. I will go in the run and sit in there with them for anywhere between 15 mins to an hour +.... and all they do is look at enand hop up on me every so often and perch for a few minutes. If I try to pick them up they screech and run, & they don’t let me pet them when they are perched on my lap. At night however, they all fight to get on my lap and snuggle to go to sleep and WILL NOT let me put them down! It’s so cute! But during the day... forget about it! I assume they are around 12 weeks now? Not positive... if anyone thinks differently let me know! Ill post pictures below. I just want them to love me always!!! Hahaha

Attachments

• 7FEEA4A0-B981-4AAD-8D5F-5559E17F4309.jpeg
    7FEEA4A0-B981-4AAD-8D5F-5559E17F4309.jpeg
    650.2 KB · Views: 8
  • D43C87FB-BA95-49FC-9D8F-81F71C89DA9F.jpeg
    D43C87FB-BA95-49FC-9D8F-81F71C89DA9F.jpeg
    785.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 047E2ACC-0BFE-48EF-ABD5-7DE074EC201F.jpeg
    047E2ACC-0BFE-48EF-ABD5-7DE074EC201F.jpeg
    968.4 KB · Views: 7
Believe it or not, you are doing really well with socialization. I’ve noticed that immature birds are particularly nervous, no matter their upbringing. Around the time they start laying, their confidence increases a bunch. Since yours are already exhibiting willingness to be so close to you now, give it another couple months and you should have the lap hens you want, maybe not every one, but in general.

It also might depend on a individual chick or chickens personality. I have a 1 month old chick that every time I say "where's my peep peep" it will come running to my held out hand and wait for me to pick it up. Then after I do, it relaxes and wants to take a nap in my arm.

It also might depend on a individual chick or chickens personality. I have a 1 month old chick that every time I say "where's my peep peep" it will come running to my held out hand and wait for me to pick it up. Then after I do, it relaxes and wants to take a nap in my arm.
Awwww, lucky you!

Back
Top Bottom