I am having trouble finding a lot about Starlight Green Eggers (SGEs) or many pics of them. I come across a few here and there, but I think people including myself are really looking for more about them and want to see pics of what their chicks may look like as adults.
For that reason, I'm starting this thread not only as a place to post my own progress pictures of my own new SGEs, but also as a place to have general discussion about this "breed" in particular.
I will share my own experience about their nature, egg laying, egg color, plumage colors/variations, etc. as time goes on.
Right now, mine are roughly 4 days old or so. Purchased from TSC yesterday. We are keeping fingers crossed that they are all pullets as they were labeled "sexed pullets", but we all know how that can go!
All of that said, here are our 4 Starlight Green Eggers!
Do you have this "breed"?
What are your thoughts on them overall?
Please share pics!
View attachment 3530260
I found out the hard way that you can't believe TSC anymore for correct labeling. I purchased 5 blue lace Wyandottes which were starlight green eggers and 5 starlight green eggers. I watched the girl take them from the labeled bins and as time has passed I now have 10 starlight green eggers. I won't purchase from TSC again

I found out the hard way that you can't believe TSC anymore for correct labeling. I purchased 5 blue lace Wyandottes which were starlight green eggers and 5 starlight green eggers. I watched the girl take them from the labeled bins and as time has passed I now have 10 starlight green eggers. I won't purchase from TSC again
In fairness (though TSC SHOULD be knowledgeable about the "things" they are selling), I received a package of 10 "Easter Eggers" straight from Hoover's (TSC's biggest supplier of chicks)...I received TWO chicks that looked to be Easter Eggers; one DOA and one passed roughly an hour after arrival. Of the 8 left, only 4 made it through the next 48 hours and into adulthood...4 Austra Whites!! 8 of the 10 "Easter Eggers" I purchased from Hoover's Hatchery were not the birds I ordered. Never will I order from Hoover's again and never will I buy from TSC unless they are 1.)Sexlink and 2.) A chick I am 100% familiar with.

2 month update.
This is 'Captain' and her person. She is SUCH a neat and loving chicken. Her hatchmates (more redish brown in color) aren't nearly as personable and friendly as she is. They aren't nasty birds, just a little more jumpy. Captain loves to sit with her person for...forever. "Loafing" as my son says lol The closer she can get to his head and face, the better. Nuzzling her beak in his hair and ear. If he sits her down and walks away, she starts talking and you can actually sense the concern. Today, he fell asleep on the patio furniture holding her and she stayed put...right on his back. We really love Captain.

Attachments

• IMG_20230731_171210901.jpg
    IMG_20230731_171210901.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230731_173658596.jpg
    IMG_20230731_173658596.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230731_173655754.jpg
    IMG_20230731_173655754.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230731_171213000.jpg
    IMG_20230731_171213000.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 61
Does anyone have a starlight green egger rooster? The two sexed chicks that I bought ended up both being male. The one that we kept is almost 17 weeks old. He is very pretty and is fine with me. However he has jumped with legs up at our 4.5 year old son only while in the pen. So he is not allowed in there alone anymore. However today Pluto jumped at the fence to try and get at our son. Does anyone have a cockerel who ended up being pretty mean? I just cannot find out anything about the breed, so not sure what to really expect with him at all.

Attachments

• 20230725_144434.jpg
    20230725_144434.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
Does anyone have a starlight green egger rooster? The two sexed chicks that I bought ended up both being male. The one that we kept is almost 17 weeks old. He is very pretty and is fine with me. However he has jumped with legs up at our 4.5 year old son only while in the pen. So he is not allowed in there alone anymore. However today Pluto jumped at the fence to try and get at our son. Does anyone have a cockerel who ended up being pretty mean? I just cannot find out anything about the breed, so not sure what to really expect with him at all.
Curious at what point you realized he was a rooster. We have two that are about 13-14 weeks old and still unsure if they’re male or female. I can’t find many pictures or info to be able to make a guess.

Curious at what point you realized he was a rooster. We have two that are about 13-14 weeks old and still unsure if they’re male or female. I can’t find many pictures or info to be able to make a guess.
He was very ealy maybe 8 weeks or so...he started trying to crow, then he got the long sickle feathers in. I have seen where they show looking at the neck feathers and if they are round it is a female and if it is more pointy it is male. This was him at 8 weeks and the other male we had.

Attachments

• 20230612_073023.jpg
    20230612_073023.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230612_073047.jpg
    20230612_073047.jpg
    977.5 KB · Views: 61
He was very ealy maybe 8 weeks or so...he started trying to crow, then he got the long sickle feathers in. I have seen where they show looking at the neck feathers and if they are round it is a female and if it is more pointy it is male. This was him at 8 weeks and the other male we had.
Oh wow, mine do not have combs and waddles that developed yet. Maybe there is still hope they could be hens. Thanks for sharing. I need to get some pictures of mine!

Oh wow, mine do not have combs and waddles that developed yet. Maybe there is still hope they could be hens. Thanks for sharing. I need to get some pictures of mine!
Fingers crossed for you! I was very disappointed when I ended up with 2 males.

Regardless of what the breed as a whole may be known for rooster-wise (I don't know about the roosters myself), your particular SGE roo is trying to attack your son. Once roos get like this, they don't often get over it, and frankly having that bird anywhere on your property is dangerous for your son. All it takes is one mistake and your son could be traumatized for life and/or lose body parts (eye injuries, face injuries among others are common). Roosters often start with the smallest humans and over time become aggressive to the larger and larger humans. It sounds like he's just getting started along his path of aggression. I'm sure you love your roo, and remember him with fondness when he was nice, but it's time for him to become dinner. I wouldn't even rehome him, because of his aggressiveness with people and children.

We had a beloved roo we had for a year, and the last few months we'd seen signs of him working himself up to be aggressive. We kept trying to retrain or change things up to help him calm back down, and nothing worked. He was being aggressive to our youngest child through the fence, so we simply kept her out. We thought he was better and had calmed down, and was over his aggressive phase, but he was just biding his time. After he attacked my oldest/largest child, he became dinner that same evening. Luckily my son was okay. I was in tears while processing our roo, but we just can't have an aggressive roo around children. My son was more than twice the size of yours, and it was still quite upsetting for him. He loved that roo, but after the attack, he understood why we couldn't keep him anymore. Please save yourselves the trauma and either eat this bird or give him to someone who will. Make sure you disclose that he is aggressive to children.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. This is one of the hard parts of chicken keeping.

Beautiful bird, great example of male-specific red color and pattern on his wing. This is a male only trait, along with pointy hackle feathers and saddle feathers, all of which are beautifully developed on him.

Back
Top Bottom