Started building my 1st coop ever on Saturday.

If you don't mind me asking.....how much money did all of the materials cost you. I'm trying to decide if I should try to build or buy. The building will take me a while:)

Had a very rainy week, so construction was delayed till this afternoon, getting oh so close.

3 nesting boxes..

Will be a door here for cleaning and egg collections.

Used a 1/4 inch heavy gal, welded wire. Lots of wildlife around here..

Will have a full asphalt roof, and a access door to run here.

Back side will have an access door to the house.

Roof it, build a few doors, paint it.... Getting close... Oh so close.

Quote:
Hi, I LOVE your coop-quality workmanship! I would highly recommend adding one thing-some 2X3 inch squares welded wire or fencing OVER the hardware cloth. I previously used the hardware cloth like yours and a medium size dog decimated it without much effort. I lost all but 2 chickens as the dog killed them for sport. Their toenails can literally shred a hole in that particular wire, and if you have wildlife, your chickens might be compromised.

You can purchase a roll of the 2X3 inch squares welded fencing (I think it is called rabbit fencing) at Tractor Supply-25 feet for $44. It works great over the welded wire you have put up. The smaller wire will help keep snakes and small pests out and the larger wire will keep predators from being able to tear right in to the coop.

So, close I can taste the fresh eggs now..

I'm getting 4 11 month old hens from a friends, friend. She needs to thin her flock, they are already laying.

I did out in a roosting bar, plenty of ventilation, as for the windows, I will have fiberglass wood framed inserts.
The wire I bought at a feed store. $125 for like 100 feet, pricey, but I'm also going to line 4 4x8 raised garden beds with it to keep the moles from digging in from the bottom.
My chickens will be free to roam the yard when I'm home, otherwise pined up.
The run including whats under the house is 4x8.
It is heavy, but not as heavy as it looks. It pulled very nice.

I still have paint, and a few other small details, and I'm sure plenty of adjustments to make sure the girls are happy.

Thanks for all the tips, I considered over laying the rabbit wire. I'll look into it thank you.

I have after paint and all I'd guess about $600.00, Not, cheap, but I'm happy with the construction, and the fact I think it will last for years and years, and stand up to the weather and wind.

I think your new chickens will be very happy in their new coop. Are you planning on putting wire or brick round the bottom to keep out digging predators?

Yes, Now that it is in place, I will jack it up, and lay the same 1/4 wire corner to corner, or a larger welded wire, kinda like the stuff used in concrete pours.

Biggest concern around here will be the raccoons.

Sunday at 8:30 am I picked up my 4, 12 months old black stars.

By 1:30 each had laid and egg, I'd wondered if they would stop laying for awhile because of the move.

As of tonight I have collected 13 eggs, Today was a 3 egg day.

I do let them out when I'm home and they are good about staying close to the coop, and returning to the pen and then house/roost pole at dusk, I just walk out and close them in.

They are always ready to be let into the run in the AM

Today I was able to let them out for a couple of hrs mid day while I was home.

It was funny about 45 mins into there peaking of the yard, one returned 30 yrds from the pack back to the house, minutes, later she came back out in to the yard, bragging up a storm. Yep...

They seem really happy..

A few tweaks to make next week, but more or less done.. Started the coop on March 8th, working on it now and then.

Also put in some gardens beds.

Once I pulled it into place I wanted to secure the bottom with wire.I alone was able to tip it on it's side and all but lower it on to jack stands. I how ever was not able to lift it alone.

I nailed a tow strap to one side and tipped it back on to it's edge to slowly lower it back down.

I used screws in every part of this besides the trim.
I think it is plenty strong!

Just after releasing them into the coop Sunday.

Over flowing the cartoon.

The Friday snow fall, got my birds 2 days later. Been warm since.

4x8 garden beds.

Back
Top Bottom