Started building my Coop!

mnbrewdude

Chirping
Jan 22, 2016
Southeast Minnesota
Well, after planning and planning and blueprints and planning some more, we got a break in the weather today and I was able to get some lumber and start putting screws to it! Got the floor/base all assembled in my garage and cut a majority of the studs to length. Forecast says heavy snow again this week in SE Minnesota so we will see what all I am able to get done before other chores pull me in different directions. Now if only I can convince my wife that this is a good idea....

Sounds fun, you will have to share your progress. Doesn't your wife like critters. I am in Wisconsin so we are neighbors, the weather does sound interesting, I don't want any freezing rain.

Good for you! I hope it turns out well for you. As for your wife, she may come round after a while (mine took 1 year) or she may not
wink.png
Fresh eggs are not to be sniffed at though are they?

All the best
CT

Good luck on your coop build, I hope the weather cooperates with you. Be sure to take some progress pictures to share with us!

What breed of chicks are you getting?

With two kids under 3, a dog and a cat, I think the wife fears that the chickens will be hours of work a day. Baby chicks cheep cheering in her hand might assuage her fears (I hope!). We plan to get a few different breeds but it really comes down to availability here, as I do not have the resources (or desire) to purchase the minimum of 25 chicks at a time, and we really only want 6 or so. I like barred rocks, buff orpingtons and Easter eggers so I think a pair of each of those would be nice. Olive eggers have gotten my attention lately but again, I'd only want to purchase / hatch a very small number.

I think the wife fears that the chickens will be hours of work a day.
That's ok, it was your idea, you can do all the work
lol.png

Seriously though, I don't think they create much work at all. You just have to feed them and put their provisions out and they just run about. Also, it saves having to go to the shops for eggs. You can just go up the backyard and fetch some breakfast. 5 minutes in a pot, and you're fed.

With two kids under 3, a dog and a cat, I think the wife fears that the chickens will be hours of work a day. Baby chicks cheep cheering in her hand might assuage her fears (I hope!). We plan to get a few different breeds but it really comes down to availability here, as I do not have the resources (or desire) to purchase the minimum of 25 chicks at a time, and we really only want 6 or so. I like barred rocks, buff orpingtons and Easter eggers so I think a pair of each of those would be nice. Olive eggers have gotten my attention lately but again, I'd only want to purchase / hatch a very small number.

Those would be nice breeds to start with (notice...I said start with, lol). I think those should be pretty easy to find at your local feed stores.

Great choices, all. I have barred rocks, Easter eggers, Wyandottes, one Delaware, and one Buff Orpington. Keep in mind that Buff Orps are inclined to go broody so you'll have to either break the broodiness or give her fertile eggs to hatch. Our one Buff Orp has gone broody every spring and we've found it much easier to find fertile eggs locally and put them under her. That way we get additional chicks and she does all the work! Of course, we do have to deal with getting rid of the roo's as we can't have them in our area.

In four years I've not had any other girl go broody. Only the Buff Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom