Started building my Coop!

Update: got some siding on (3 walls so far), vents, door and window holes placed and cut, and hardware cloth installed in the vents/Windows. I used 1/2 inch staples to affix the hardware cloth to the walls, lots of them. Is that sufficient or does there need to be stronger fastening? It seems impenetrable right now.... Photo 1 shows what will eventually be 1 screened in awning window (higher one) and one daylight only lexan window near the roosts inside the coop.

Photo 2 shows the soon to be pop door and a long narrow hardware cloth covered vent which will be hinged so I can close it down if need be. There will be 12x12 gable vents as well on the ends. Thoughts on if this should be sufficient ventilation for Minnesota summers and winters???

I used 1/2 inch staples to affix the hardware cloth to the walls, lots of them. Is that sufficient or does there need to be stronger fastening?
Looking good!
1/2 staples are not really sufficient, e
-either cover edges of HC with screwed on trim boards(screws going thru second row of holes)
-or use screws and large washers along edges of HC.
Because your HC looks to be on the inside, it's a bit less susceptible to predators.

Are you going to cover the eaves with HC too?
Sharp bend in HC and attaching to wall of coop and bottom of rafters and fascia works great, but use screws and washers. It was tricky to bend HC against a straight board on garage floor, but I (and a partner) was able to install 16' long pieces on all my eaves. Huge ventilation plus!

Took advantage of a RARE 40 degree day here in MN. Got one gable door completed and the roof sheeted. Very happy with the look so far, excited that my first serious venture into building construction has gone so smoothly!

Looking good, you are doing a great job, it was a nice warm day, unfortunately it isn't lasting, tomorrow we will both be freezing again.

It was 49 here today.....worked outside in a sweatshirt...in FEB?!
Next solid week below freezing tho...and 9" of snow over m-t-w.

With two kids under 3, a dog and a cat, I think the wife fears that the chickens will be hours of work a day. Baby chicks cheep cheering in her hand might assuage her fears (I hope!). We plan to get a few different breeds but it really comes down to availability here, as I do not have the resources (or desire) to purchase the minimum of 25 chicks at a time, and we really only want 6 or so. I like barred rocks, buff orpingtons and Easter eggers so I think a pair of each of those would be nice. Olive eggers have gotten my attention lately but again, I'd only want to purchase / hatch a very small number.

meyer hatchery has a min of three once you get into april.

Back
Top Bottom