Starting my own meat birds dark cornish and cross with white rock

Sounds interesting i would love to see photos as they grow. I'm waiting till February on mine to hatch some LF white Cornish cock on some New Hampshire hens. Should be the premier meat chicken of the 1940's and 50's. I held back 3 Cornish cocks and about 12-15 Cornish hens along with the New Hampshire's. But I only have 2 cocks and 6 hens there.

I accidentally crossed my LF white Cornish with an Orpington and raised 2 cockerel's. They ended up being 9lbs live weight at butchering, big thick thighs, legs etc but a little tougher than they should have been due to age. I think they were about 6 months old. So I'm looking forward to the Cornish x New Hampshire's butchered at about 16 weeks.

Today's Hatch Total:

Out of 71 eggs on lockdown 66 hatched, 3 still peeping and popping the remaining 2 one appears dead and the last one still alive but hasn't pipped.
Hopefully they hatch by tomorrow.

Still got another 70 eggs incubating, half due on the 24th and the other half on the 31st. I'm totalling 90+ chicks to work with on my meat project.

Sounds interesting i would love to see photos as they grow. I'm waiting till February on mine to hatch some LF white Cornish cock on some New Hampshire hens. Should be the premier meat chicken of the 1940's and 50's. I held back 3 Cornish cocks and about 12-15 Cornish hens along with the New Hampshire's. But I only have 2 cocks and 6 hens there.

Here are pics of my last 3 hatches two weeks old, one week old, and newborns from yesterday all together in my brooder/coop. Dark color are Dark Cornish/White Plymouth Rocks and light colors are Buff Orphimgton/Madisons.

Ok, before I start let me clarify that I'm no meat bird expert. I was trying to breed a sustainable meat bird until my coop was raided by some stray dogs but here are the weighs of my surviving 8 of 5wks and 4wks.

5 wk old 1.9 lbs

5 wk old 1.6 lbs

4 wk old 1.3

4 wk old 1.5

4 wk old 1.3 lbs

4 wk old 14.8 oz

4 wk old 14.9 oz

I don't know if they are doing good in weight since I didn't have a scale to record weight when they hatched. Also I was feeding them turkey starter the first two 50 lb bags then mixed their feed with cracked corn and were free ranging also. For next hatch I'm gonna have them caged feed turkey starter only, giving them also 16 hr light with timer and weighing them from newborn and updating weekly their growth.

Ok, before I start let me clarify that I'm no meat bird expert. I was trying to breed a sustainable meat bird until my coop was raided by some stray dogs but here are the weighs of my surviving 8 of 5wks and 4wks.

5 wk old 1.9 lbs

5 wk old 1.6 lbs

4 wk old 1.3

4 wk old 1.5

4 wk old 1.3 lbs

4 wk old 14.8 oz

4 wk old 14.9 oz

I don't know if they are doing good in weight since I didn't have a scale to record weight when they hatched. Also I was feeding them turkey starter the first two 50 lb bags then mixed their feed with cracked corn and were free ranging also. For next hatch I'm gonna have them caged feed turkey starter only, giving them also 16 hr light with timer and weighing them from newborn and updating weekly their growth.
Good luck with your project. I use Dark Cornish over a CX hen. I also use a high protein starter. You are on the right track. Your birds look good. I have to use vitamins in the water. Meat birds grow fast and at times they grow unevenly. Too much stress on the bone to muscle without a vitamin supplement can cause leg/joint issues.

Good luck with your project. I use Dark Cornish over a CX hen. I also use a high protein starter. You are on the right track. Your birds look good. I have to use vitamins in the water. Meat birds grow fast and at times they grow unevenly. Too much stress on the bone to muscle without a vitamin supplement can cause leg/joint issues.
Wow....they looked delicious. What 's hen you were using? Slow growth Cx or Jumbo Cx? I'm using Madisons DP hen and white Plymouth rock. Used RIR also but Madisons and WPR offspring look bigger. How old were your birds when those pics were taken?

Wow....they looked delicious. What 's hen you were using? Slow growth Cx or Jumbo Cx? I'm using Madisons DP hen and white Plymouth rock. Used RIR also but Madisons and WPR offspring look bigger. How old were your birds when those pics were taken?
I used Murray McMurray's Cornish Roasters - slower growing. My birds grow faster than heritage Dark Cornish, but slower than The CX type. The group meat pics are birds taken at Cornish game hen size ~2 pounds dressed weight. My 50%DC / 50%CX birds usually attain weight by 4 to 5 weeks. I like Cornish game size so this is what I am breeding for weight and age wise. They are nice and breasty, well proportioned at all stages of growth. This is what I am breeding my chicks to look like. Quail sized to adult - all look correct.

foundation Murray McMurray Cornish Roaster hens
Foundation Dark Cornish Cock bird

I have used turkey starter years ago in 4-H on a 3-pen broiler project. Although the judge wanted to give me grand champion, I was disqualified on a technicality. Apparently my birds were over the max total weight. I had additional light at night for a few hours and the higher protein from the turkey starter. Sounds like your on the right track to some good eating.

I separated my breeding pen into Large Fowl White Cornish cocks with my New Hampshire hens. I also left all my Cornish hens in the pen as I'm still trying to build a sizable flock. It was nearly impossible to find the whites, and it wasn't till I picked them up and seen them with my own two eyes, that I believed they were not extinct. The look of there eyes, comb and head/neck and feel of there tight feathers, there was no doubt they were the original Cornish. However they still look small like bantams with the tight feathering, but weighting 9-10 pounds. I have now have 3 cocks, and 5 hens now, hoping to grow that to at least a dozen new pullets this year. Although the Cornish are my pride, in very excited for my 1948 "Chicken of Tomorrow Contest" winners, and to make some chicken noodle soup just like grandma used to make. If you haven't seen the video for the chicken of tomorrow contest, here's a link.

The 1948 Chicken of Tomorrow Contest Documentary

Back
Top Bottom