Starting my own meat birds dark cornish and cross with white rock

You know I have found the Brahma Chickens the fastest and biggest of the dual use chickens as in meat and eggs. They are quite difficult to get in Australia but crossed with the Cornish they are huge fast growing and extremely calm offspring in general. Especially the 2n cross. Check them out they are an American chicken extremely popular up until the 1950's in America as a dual purpose chicken. Cheers Paul

This are my crosses of my Dark Cornish Male with RIR's, White Plymouth Rocks and Madisons. RIRX I have two males and two females of 8 wks old except for one of the males is 4 wks old. The WPRX and MadisonsX are 3 weeks old. Dark colored are WPR and Light Colored are Madisons X. Don't know weight since I left my digital scale outside and it rained messing it up.

You know I have found the Brahma Chickens the fastest and biggest of the dual use chickens as in meat and eggs. They are quite difficult to get in Australia but crossed with the Cornish they are huge fast growing and extremely calm offspring in general. Especially the 2n cross. Check them out they are an American chicken extremely popular up until the 1950's in America as a dual purpose chicken. Cheers Paul

If you're addressing me, I'm giving them a very hard look.

Sorry Turk, yes I was talking to you. eldonrgv that is a good looking chicken I think he will end up a good size as he is still young and growing. Cheers Paul

I've heard same thing of Brahmas and Turkens. I have and order of 30 chicks being shipped tomorrow from Purely Poultry 50/50 of both breeds.

I've had Turkens for years (my dad raised them my whole life) and they might figure prominently in my program. I can tell you, on their own, the Turken is a very good meat bird and that's not just my opinion. I still wan't to look at the first crosses before proceeding. I'm still on the young side and I'm kinda following a program my dad started before his death.

Last edited:
I've had Turkens for years (my dad raised them my whole life) and they might figure prominently in my program.  I can tell you, on their own, the Turken is a very good meat bird and that's not just my opinion.  I still wan't to look at the first crosses before proceeding.  I'm still on the young side and I'm kinda following a program my dad started before his death.

Sorry bout your dad. I read about the Turkens on Sustainable Meat / Standard Bred Dual Purpose Bird Thread posts of Desertchick where she shows this amazing birds and their weights...no crosses just plain Turkens. I was hooked with the NN. Bought 35 at Tractor supply and ordered 15 more.

I have heard of Turkens, I will check them out. Yes sorry about your dad I lost mine to so not cool. They might be called something else here or they don't have them. Cheers Paul

They are certainly not the prettiest chicken but decent size. I have always believed that the Jersey Giants and the Brahma Chickens to be the biggest chickens breed wise, I have seen naken necks but they have been more like a bantam in size or in a Game style fowl. Anyway all good. Cheers Paul

Back
Top Bottom