Stella's Social Club

I almost feel embarrassed to complain about this because Kathy might see it, but I have another broody.
hmm.png

I think I have about 10 right now...my chickens caught the broody disease.

Here was my Mother's Day present this year- dig all the icky clay out and replace with nice soil, transplant from various places around the yard and a few purchases, then top with Cedar mulch:

I love it!!! Can't wait until next spring when the rows of Daffodils and Amaryllis bulbs all come up!
clap.gif

Looks great! Now you have to remember to post a picture next year on Mother's Day to show us what it grows into!

Here was my Mother's Day present this year- dig all the icky clay out and replace with nice soil, transplant from various places around the yard and a few purchases, then top with Cedar mulch:

I love it!!! Can't wait until next spring when the rows of Daffodils and Amaryllis bulbs all come up!
clap.gif
It looks great, congratulations. DH spent most of the day cutting out wild blackberry. I fiddled around and then planted a bunch of pots of flowers to go on the deck and planted some stuff around three of the trees in the lawn. It was a dig in the dirt kind of day!

Nice present! I look forward to seeing it grow!

Mary - 23 ingredients? It can't taste THAT much better.

I'm having a broody nightmare. My English Orp broody was missing some eggs.(found one today out in the run). Yesterday, she crushed an egg with the chick in it. It didn't make it. Today, I found another squished one. Apparently, one of the missing eggs broke and got buried in the shavings. I about freaked when I pulled the squished baby out from under her and found maggots on it. I got it cleaned up, but it still had veins in the membrane. I was able to pull it out of the membrane and get all the creepy craw lies off it, but I left the veins attached. It's still alive and resting in my bator. Then I had to clean out the gross nesting box. I hope the eggs she has left can hatch without getting crushed.

Happy Chooks - hate to say it about your nightmare broody but "off with her head." What a horrible thing to encounter (chick with maggots) - you've got a lot more guts than I could ever muster.
sickbyc.gif

22 eggs in lockdown. Wonder how many I'll get. I didn't ever use the spot check. Couldn't find it. My other Olive Egger is going to be happy to have chicks... I HOPE.

I just upped it to where it was the last time I hatched to 100.5 which kept it at 99.5 according to the spot check.

Last candle showed lots of movement and in the Aloha's, lots of blood veins. I'm thinking they are a tad behind and I may not see a chick until Sunday.

One of the eggs that were shipped with some of the eggs I have, hatched under a friends broody and then the broody proceeded to kill it.... but that would be like 3 days early unless the egg sent was already developing?

I'm such a worry wart. I upped the humidity to 63%. (had it at 30% for the first 18 days)
Should I up it further?

I need help from you Brinsea experts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom