Stinky

brewdog

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2015
Is there anything else beside limestone I can put down in my duck pen as to keep the smell down? I change and clean out pen every other day but still smells. Looking for an alternative way to keep smell down..

Is there anything else beside limestone I can put down in my duck pen as to keep the smell down? I change and clean out pen every other day but still smells. Looking for an alternative way to keep smell down..

What are the dimensions of the area and how many birds total are housed in it? The primary causes of offensive odor in a pen are wetness and overcrowding. Can you post a photo (or two) of your enclosure? Seeing it can often help offer tips on where specific changes might help you address an issue such as odors.

What are the dimensions of the area and how many birds total are housed in it?    The primary causes of offensive odor in a pen are wetness and overcrowding.  Can you post a photo (or two) of your enclosure?  Seeing it can often help offer tips on where specific changes might help you address an issue such as odors.
the pen is an actual 12x12 shed, and there is 5 Pekin ducks and 2 embden geese. Like I said I clean and change litter every other day.. Wood floor so I understand that some of it seeps into the wood... But just curious as to what I can put down for and to cover smell better than shavings and lime

The stinky bacteria thrive where there is low oxygen, and more nitrogen than carbon.

We have fourteen small (3 - 5 pound) ducks in about 100 square feet at night. Odor is no problem. At all. Ever.

We have a watering station. It is the bottom of a large dog crate, with sawdust pellets in the bottom, and a 2 gallon stew pot of water. That keeps the bedding dry.

I spot pick every morning, and fluff the shavings.

Do they get out at all during the day? Or is this their entire world?

I read online that one duck owner used unsweetened Kool-aid sprayed on the duck pen floor to neutralize the ammonia smell. The Kool-aid has ascorbic acid in it and the packets are really cheap. I have tried it twice in my pen and have no problems. It worked better though when I removed the pine shavings--they retain a weird smell. Works good with my dirt/gravel. Also the wood pellets that turn into sawdust when wet work great to remove odors. They soak up lots of moisture while leaving a nice piney scent and dry layer on top.

If it is a raw wood floor, not painted, then that floor has absorbed everything.
I'd clean it, hose it, clean it with ammonia and dish soap, rinse, let dry, air out and then put several coats of exterior latex paint.
That will help it from absorbing more stink.
If they have water in the shed, you need to devise a way to not have that water all over the place as that will just soak into the wood.

Sweet pdz (I think) is used w horses and helps control odor. Might work mixed in/under their bedding. I've used it w chicks, but not ducks, so check it is safe if they snack on it before using.

Lots of ideas here, nice to see.

I'll pitch in a couple more - peat moss also is acidic and reduces ammonia formation. I might use vinegar (acid) instead of ammonia, but maybe there is something to the concept of "hair of the dog."

I think I would scrape off the wooden flooring, let it dry, sprinkle borax powder on it, and then cover it with vinyl sheet flooring. I got some free from a contractor who had some large scraps. I placed it up the walls nearly a foot, then used wooden furring strips (1"x2") to fasten the ends of the flooring - so nothing would get under the vinyl. My ducks sometimes aim high, if you know what I mean.

I have also used Sweet PDZ.

Back
Top Bottom