Store bought coop security/Upgrades

Mishyk

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
I said for a while I would post what I did to make my storebought coop secure and upgrade the structure of it.

I am a female, not particularly handy or strong so my guidelines were that whatever I chose I needed to be able to lift all parts of it to build it myself amd to be able to use tools I could handle on my own.

So, my run info... my run was to be situated in a corner of the yard by my shed. This whole area is on a slope. Yard is surrounded by a 6' wood privacy fence. So, coop within a run, within a yard.

It made sense to beef up the coop rather than the run for security because a smaller space would cost less to protect and I needed to level the ground in an area to set the coop up anyway.

I purchased this coop from Rural King. It is a great starter coop rated for 5‐7 poultry however I FULLY EXPECT to add a 2nd unit as a grow out coop. Per my local ordinance I am only allowed 6 chickies. Despite chicken math I will follow the rules.

So the first worry I encountered is that the coop is incredibly light. Also, I was concerned with predators digging under. So to combat this and make the coop sit level I dug a trench a bit larger than my coop. I laid cinderblock in this trench and levelled it. This step took me 2 10hour days to complete. I made sure the edges of the coop sat on the inner most edges of the cinderblock so there was a "moat" of cinderblock extending outward along the entire base of the coop.

For the next step I carefully laid 1/2" hardware cloth under the exterior of the cinderblock all the way around. Any place the wire had been cut was overlapped and "sewn" together using j-clips.

I was not happy with the paltry staples holding the hardware cloth in place on the premade coop panels so I redoubled with 1/2" stainless staples using my electric staple gun. Fast and much more secure- but do before assembling so you can lie them on a solid surface to get the staples as deep as possible.

Next, noting the wood frame of the coop was thin 1x2. Not much there to secure anything to. So I built a framethat was made of 2x4s to seat and secure the base of my coop to. It had the added bonus of raising the coop up a little higher as well which was helpful for what was to come.

Before I seated the frame on top on the cinderblock, I folded the hardware cloth up the sides and over the top of the cinderblock. Next I put the coop into place, drilled holes and screwed it to the 2x4 frame I created.

"This is where it gets fun", she said sarcastically.

So for this next part I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOOD GLOVES AND A MOVING BLANKET.

I crawled my ample butt into the mini run beneath the coop. I worked for 10 minutes and then crawled my ample and bloody butt out of the coop for gloves and a moving blanket.

So all the hardware cloth I had secured around the cinderblock and into the coop interior...using J-clips, i fastened this hardware cloth edge to the hardware cloth built into the coop. Now, the coop is weighed down/held in place by 14 cinderblocks attached securely to its frame. There is also a 10ish inch moat of cinderblock covered in hardware cloth that serves as an apron surrounding the coop.

Next, to beef up the corners.of the structure I added 2x4s vertically at the seams to give it more structural integrity.

I have ordered an Omlet door but it won't be here until July.

My next step was to add another layer of protection to the outside of the coop. Since the hardware cloth that comes on the coop is attached on the inside, it could potentially be pushed in by a determined raccoon so I added a layer of 1/4" hardware cloth over the entire coop exterior.

Next I built a ramp for the coop. Not trusting the flimsy hinges on the door, I hinged the ramp and acts like a drawbridge at night to add a layer of protection over the door area.

I then filled the unlevel area beneath the coop with top soil and sewed a bag of Chicks Mix seeds.

I used 8' posts sunk 24" around the perimeter of my run with welded wire fencing. Because working by myself and on a slope I cannot get the fencing tight, I splurged and got Dig Defence bars to go along the underside of the fence between posts to deter digging by my dogs.

I have covered the entire run with wildlife netting to protect from arial predators. I then installed a perch and built a feeding station which doubles as a shade shelter.

So, here come the pics. Last one is Addie eating a blueberry, just for fun. I am open to any questions or thoughts. I really hoped to get this right the first time but there was quite a bit of trial and error. I now have the skills to build a second grow out coop on my own and will do so at a later date. I see a lot of people saying prefab coops are a mistake but so much can be learned by just doing it and going through the process of thinking each detail through. I would not have had the confidence to build on my own without this experience. I look at it as thinking this way... were grades K-11 a mistake because you only recieve a diploma at grade 12? No. .you would never have made it through grade 12 without the tools you gained along the way in K-11.

Happy Chickening, y'all.

Attachments

• 20210510_140750.jpg
    20210510_140750.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 99
  • 20210510_140758.jpg
    20210510_140758.jpg
    900.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210510_140805.jpg
    20210510_140805.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210510_140826.jpg
    20210510_140826.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • 20210510_140856.jpg
    20210510_140856.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210510_140915.jpg
    20210510_140915.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210510_141005.jpg
    20210510_141005.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210510_141023.jpg
    20210510_141023.jpg
    922.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210510_141042.jpg
    20210510_141042.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210510_141108.jpg
    20210510_141108.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210510_141154.jpg
    20210510_141154.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210510_141202.jpg
    20210510_141202.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210510_151203.jpg
    20210510_151203.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I think I will! I learned so much. Got over my fear of bigger saws, learned to use entirely new tools...

Go, me!

I know the post is REALLY long but I wanted anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation to be able to learn from my successes and mistakes and to have the confidence that absolutely... if I can do this, anyone can.

I think I will! I learned so much. Got over my fear of bigger saws, learned to use entirely new tools...

Go, me!

I know the post is REALLY long but I wanted anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation to be able to learn from my successes and mistakes and to have the confidence that absolutely... if I can do this, anyone can.

There is tremendous satisfaction to be found in building things. :)

Go, me!

You GO girl!!

TLDR....yet....but...
...you don't need that ramp coming out of the run.
Use that wood for something else.

Builder tip, use screws so you can 're-do' stuff. ;)

I said for a while I would post what I did to make my storebought coop secure and upgrade the structure of it.

I am a female, not particularly handy or strong so my guidelines were that whatever I chose I needed to be able to lift all parts of it to build it myself amd to be able to use tools I could handle on my own.

So, my run info... my run was to be situated in a corner of the yard by my shed. This whole area is on a slope. Yard is surrounded by a 6' wood privacy fence. So, coop within a run, within a yard.

It made sense to beef up the coop rather than the run for security because a smaller space would cost less to protect and I needed to level the ground in an area to set the coop up anyway.

I purchased this coop from Rural King. It is a great starter coop rated for 5‐7 poultry however I FULLY EXPECT to add a 2nd unit as a grow out coop. Per my local ordinance I am only allowed 6 chickies. Despite chicken math I will follow the rules.

So the first worry I encountered is that the coop is incredibly light. Also, I was concerned with predators digging under. So to combat this and make the coop sit level I dug a trench a bit larger than my coop. I laid cinderblock in this trench and levelled it. This step took me 2 10hour days to complete. I made sure the edges of the coop sat on the inner most edges of the cinderblock so there was a "moat" of cinderblock extending outward along the entire base of the coop.

For the next step I carefully laid 1/2" hardware cloth under the exterior of the cinderblock all the way around. Any place the wire had been cut was overlapped and "sewn" together using j-clips.

I was not happy with the paltry staples holding the hardware cloth in place on the premade coop panels so I redoubled with 1/2" stainless staples using my electric staple gun. Fast and much more secure- but do before assembling so you can lie them on a solid surface to get the staples as deep as possible.

Next, noting the wood frame of the coop was thin 1x2. Not much there to secure anything to. So I built a framethat was made of 2x4s to seat and secure the base of my coop to. It had the added bonus of raising the coop up a little higher as well which was helpful for what was to come.

Before I seated the frame on top on the cinderblock, I folded the hardware cloth up the sides and over the top of the cinderblock. Next I put the coop into place, drilled holes and screwed it to the 2x4 frame I created.

"This is where it gets fun", she said sarcastically.

So for this next part I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOOD GLOVES AND A MOVING BLANKET.

I crawled my ample butt into the mini run beneath the coop. I worked for 10 minutes and then crawled my ample and bloody butt out of the coop for gloves and a moving blanket.

So all the hardware cloth I had secured around the cinderblock and into the coop interior...using J-clips, i fastened this hardware cloth edge to the hardware cloth built into the coop. Now, the coop is weighed down/held in place by 14 cinderblocks attached securely to its frame. There is also a 10ish inch moat of cinderblock covered in hardware cloth that serves as an apron surrounding the coop.

Next, to beef up the corners.of the structure I added 2x4s vertically at the seams to give it more structural integrity.

I have ordered an Omlet door but it won't be here until July.

My next step was to add another layer of protection to the outside of the coop. Since the hardware cloth that comes on the coop is attached on the inside, it could potentially be pushed in by a determined raccoon so I added a layer of 1/4" hardware cloth over the entire coop exterior.

Next I built a ramp for the coop. Not trusting the flimsy hinges on the door, I hinged the ramp and acts like a drawbridge at night to add a layer of protection over the door area.

I then filled the unlevel area beneath the coop with top soil and sewed a bag of Chicks Mix seeds.

I used 8' posts sunk 24" around the perimeter of my run with welded wire fencing. Because working by myself and on a slope I cannot get the fencing tight, I splurged and got Dig Defence bars to go along the underside of the fence between posts to deter digging by my dogs.

I have covered the entire run with wildlife netting to protect from arial predators. I then installed a perch and built a feeding station which doubles as a shade shelter.

So, here come the pics. Last one is Addie eating a blueberry, just for fun. I am open to any questions or thoughts. I really hoped to get this right the first time but there was quite a bit of trial and error. I now have the skills to build a second grow out coop on my own and will do so at a later date. I see a lot of people saying prefab coops are a mistake but so much can be learned by just doing it and going through the process of thinking each detail through. I would not have had the confidence to build on my own without this experience. I look at it as thinking this way... were grades K-11 a mistake because you only recieve a diploma at grade 12? No. .you would never have made it through grade 12 without the tools you gained along the way in K-11.

Happy Chickening, y'all.
You go girlfriend!

You GO girl!!

TLDR....yet....but...
...you don't need that ramp coming out of the run.
Use that wood for something else.

Builder tip, use screws so you can 're-do' stuff. ;)
I built it as a defense to help protect the door at night because I view it as a weak spot. Its just a bonus that I get to lower it like a drawbridge every morning!

Back
Top Bottom