Strange red marks on back of chick's legs, excessive peeping

It sounds like not eating or not drinking is the most likely problem.

I know the complaining cheep you mean... for me it's always meant too cold / hot, thirsty / hungry, or can't poop. Those most basic needs. Not for pain or loneliness.
I'd bring a chair up to the brooder and do some "this is how you drink and eat" work. Dip its beak, peck your finger in the food to get everyone extra excited about it.
It might be just mentally slow and not learning from its friends. It could have problems with its eyesight. Check the mouth for obstructions, and check the backside more thoroughly. Sometimes some chicks learn to eat but not drink, and with all that dry matter they can get constipated. If it really has no interest in food I would suspect that.
Wow, you know, that makes a lot of sense! After I typed this I did see him go to the water but it was like he didn't know what to do. He tried to "eat" the water kind of, he somewhat nibbled at it, and didn't do the whole tipping his head back thing like chicks/chickens normally do. I thought maybe he wasn't thirsty but maybe he just isn't really catching on. It's worth a shot trying to "teach" him.

Turns out my Nutri Drench was alright (it was the vitamin B that froze and got a weird texture) and I gave him a couple drops. He actually quieted down and fell asleep. So it would make sense that not eating/drinking is the problem.

Update:
Yesterday I put antibiotic ointment on the chick's legs, gave him a few drops of Nutri-Drench (once in morning once in evening), and gave him small amounts of water with molasses mixed in throughout the day. But unfortunately, he seems even weaker today. I tried "teaching" him to eat and drink, but it's just not taking. And I did try some wet feed as well.

He's mostly been lying on his belly all morning, kind of too weak to stand or walk around really. He's not even peeping loudly anymore. I wonder if he's just kind of a "failure to thrive" chick. I'm still trying though, and gave him some Nutri-Drench this morning. Although he barely swallowed it.

Poor little guy. Idk if he will make it through the day.

Unfortunately sometimes that loud peeping is because they are not feeling well. My guess is it has something internally wrong. That may explain the sores. It may have been laying down more than the others from the start. Not much you can do but give the electrolytes. So sorry.

Unfortunately he passed away today around 11:30 am. :(

He was being trampled in the brooder this morning so I made him his own brooder indoors, where he later passed peacefully. He seemed barely conscious today, so I hope that means he passed in less pain than if he were very conscious.

RIP little buddy. I tried everything I could.

Unfortunately he passed away today around 11:30 am. :(

He was being trampled in the brooder this morning so I made him his own brooder indoors, where he later passed peacefully. He seemed barely conscious today, so I hope that means he passed in less pain than if he were very conscious.

RIP little buddy. I tried everything I could.
So very sorry.

So very sorry.
Thank you.
So sorry. Sometimes no matter how hard we try they just don't make it.
Thank you. And that's the truth.

But on one somewhat positive side, I thought it was beautiful that at the moment I found him passed away, outside I could hear one of my hens singing her egg song. I swear my hens were trying to remind me of the circle of life and the realities of things. For every chicken passing, a new egg is coming into the world. That comforted me a little, as sad as it was.

Back
Top Bottom