Strange red marks on back of chick's legs, excessive peeping

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
Just brought home some Cornish X chicks and they are all looking good and settling in well except for one chick. He looks otherwise healthy (no pasty butt, nothing else I can see) but he has been doing the loud, "I need something" peep that would normally tell me I need to raise or lower the heat lamp, or their water is empty. Except all the other chicks seem comfortable with the temperature (around 95 degrees directly under the lamp) and I don't see this peeping chick trying to huddle or anything. He just keeps crying out. I picked him up and noticed these strange marks on the back of his legs.
signal-2023-03-27-17-30-23-704.jpg

They kind of look like the color of bruises, but with blood red color as well. It's all under the skin though and there is no scabbing or bleeding.

Any clue what this is or what I can do? He walks and stands just fine btw. Do you guys think he is peeping because this is painful or could it be something else?

Looks like pressure sores to me. What type of bedding was being used? 95 is a bit warm. Did you pull them out of a big group of chicks? It come be missing other chicks if it was. That might cause it to cry loudly for a few days until it settles.
Oh pressure sores may make sense. Yes, they came from a large group at the Tractor Supply and I only got 6. I put it at 95 because that's what my poultry thermometer suggested for their age, but I more go by if they are crowded or dispersing. But also, they are out on my screened in porch so a few extra degrees is useful once the temp drops at night. I will see if he stops peeping in the next couple days.

It may be missing it's favorite friend or just the big group it was in. It's surprising how fast they can buddy up.

Definitely go by their behaviors for the temperatures. As long as they can get away it should be find.
That's sad if that's the case. I feel bad if he lost his buddy. Hopefully he can buddy up with someone in this group. I hope that is the problem though and it's not him being in pain from an injury or something.

And yes, will do. They do have a cool side in the brooder away from the light, so they can go there if they get warm. And once they start to feather out a little I raise the light even more (within reason) to encourage that feather growth. I hope to have these birds outside by week 3 if possible.

Looks like pressure sores to me. What type of bedding was being used? 95 is a bit warm. Did you pull them out of a big group of chicks? It come be missing other chicks if it was. That might cause it to cry loudly for a few days until it settles.
I realized I never answered your question about the bedding. He came from Tractor Supply and they had him in pine shavings. I also have him in that. They said they just picked up the chicks from the post office yesterday morning before I purchased them. Could he have gotten pressure sores from being tightly packed with other chicks during shipping? Is there anything I can do or will they go away on their own?

I would gently wash the spots and apply some triple antibiotic ointment to stave off infection. It definitely looks like inflamed and angry sores.
Okay, I will do that. Although, there's no actual open sore. But I don't think it would hurt to apply to clean it up and apply the ointment so I will do it anyway.

Update: Chick slept most of the night I think, but today is back up peeping loudly and nonstop! I feel like it's gotta be in pain or something. I haven't seen this chick drink water yet, and it only took one nibble at the wet feed I put out this morning. It's also the smallest out of all the chicks.

Is there something I can do to give it some strength? Maybe some Nutri Drench but I think mine got left out in the freezing cold and now has a weird texture. Is there anything else I can try?

Update: Chick slept most of the night I think, but today is back up peeping loudly and nonstop! I feel like it's gotta be in pain or something. I haven't seen this chick drink water yet, and it only took one nibble at the wet feed I put out this morning. It's also the smallest out of all the chicks.

Is there something I can do to give it some strength? Maybe some Nutri Drench but I think mine got left out in the freezing cold and now has a weird texture. Is there anything else I can try?

It sounds like not eating or not drinking is the most likely problem.

I know the complaining cheep you mean... for me it's always meant too cold / hot, thirsty / hungry, or can't poop. Those most basic needs. Not for pain or loneliness.
I'd bring a chair up to the brooder and do some "this is how you drink and eat" work. Dip its beak, peck your finger in the food to get everyone extra excited about it.
It might be just mentally slow and not learning from its friends. It could have problems with its eyesight. Check the mouth for obstructions, and check the backside more thoroughly. Sometimes some chicks learn to eat but not drink, and with all that dry matter they can get constipated. If it really has no interest in food I would suspect that.

Back
Top Bottom