Strategies for Breeding with limited Gene Pool

When it comes to the method breeding up I do recommend being careful as some strains are so line,bred tbat when they cross out you may learn of the "dark side" of the strain :p

I recently came into possession of a quad of Crevecoeurs, and in Canada...the gene pool is particularly shallow. I would love to dedicate my time to helping this breed recover & breed towards its traditional purpose as a table bird. Looking for any suggestions.

Tried to put a picture of a breeding scheme but can not make it big enough to read. click on the scheme and you can read it as a photo. You can also make it larger by zooming in on your web page in photo mode.

Last edited:
Quote:
Are the Quad two pairs? Or one Rooster and three hens? In any case I suggest you use the most wild type of birds you can get, white eggs, single comb, wildtype pattern, white skin, normal feathers. My list would be Red Jungle fowl(the wild chicken) Brown leghorns(have yellow skin w/w and sex linked Id,but that can be bread out). Welsummers(have yellow skin w/w and sex linked Id,but that can be bread out). Old English Game(Red Duck wing and Black) Phoenix(BBR/Ducking)(Long tails but it's recessive and if not bred for will go away).

You've heard there are some LC breeders working on Crevecoeurs? Jeanette Beranger has made strides with them. Also, Ashley Schilling in Texas. There is a FB group of breeders.

Strategy is to cross distant lines & breed for size first. Maintain at least three clans in a spiral breeding program. It is what I do with my La Fleche.

Back
Top Bottom