straw or hay bale gardening

By "spread apart the hay" do you mean break the bales apart and spread out loose hay or move the bales around for more spacing? I wouldn't break the bales up, just put a layer of compost/peat moss on top and seed into it, make sure to keep things moist until the seedlings are well on their way. Using started bedding plants also works very well, make a small pocket in the hay push the plants roots into it and add a bit of compost over the top, done.

The last bales I used for 3 yrs and then pulled the twine and worked them into the garden.
pocket, not spread apart.......I didn't word it correctly.

One thing to note that was touched upon on the first page in the hay vs straw thing...

Not all hay and not all straw is created equal, there can be a huge difference between hay bales and straw bales depending on what it's composed of and when it was cut...

I can get straw bales that are loaded with wheat or oat seeds or I can get straw bales that have very little seeds... Same with hay I can get a 1st cut grass hay that is pretty much all stems with no seeds or I can get a 2nd or 3rd cut premium hay like a clover/alfalfa mix or even grass that is loaded with leaves and seeds...

You really need to actually look a the hay/straw you are purchasing or else you could get a bale that will sprout like a Chia pet all on it's own when it gets wet, that kind of defeats the purpose...

I explored this type of gardening, but opted to go with containers instead due to cost, since I get the containers for free...
we dont' get straw down here, just hay. and yes the hay can be grass, or some folks will even bale native grasses, which will contain allot of seeds.

I don't mind pulling the weeds, this is a better alternative to fighting the bermuda that runs rampant in my garden now. especially when I'm watering.

Straw up here sells for $8.50/bale.  way too rich for my blood!

Yeah, regional price differences can hit home hard...

I can get 'cheap' straw for $2 a bale, or very good straw for $3 a bale... Grass hay is $3 bale, while a premium alfalfa or clover hay can be had for about $4-$7... Right now all the hay/straw growers are looking to unload their barns of left over so they have room for this years crop... So right now I can get straw and cheap hay for even cheaper, they generally won't budge on 2nd or 3rd crop premium hay until the the last minute as this years crop is being baled...

Price can also vary within a region. Here (city) they charge about $8 bale for pea straw at the local shops, but you can get it cheaper if you look. I used to get wheat straw from a farmer who would drive it into Perth and deliver it. It was $3 a bale, delivered (or something like that, WAY cheaper than if you went to the pet feed or garden places)

Price can also vary within a region.  Here (city) they charge about $8 bale for pea straw at the local shops, but you can get it cheaper if you look.  I used to get wheat straw from a farmer who would drive it into Perth and deliver it.  It was $3 a bale, delivered (or something like that, WAY cheaper than if you went to the pet feed or garden places)

Yes, small distances can make a huge difference in price... I live on the Illinois/Wisconsin border, I generally drive into Wisconsin (about 5 miles) to get my hay/straw and prices are what I quoted above, Illinois prices are generally a few dollars more per bale just because... And I only buy directly from the farmers, no need to pay a middle man, as I know the farmers appreciate the 'cash' in hand...

after a goodly amount of time under the soaker hoses, yesterday even I covered the tops with a 2"-3" layer of quality compost.

ready to get some plants in them.

after a goodly amount of time under the soaker hoses, yesterday even I covered the tops with a 2"-3" layer of quality compost.

ready to get some plants in them.

How is your new garden working out? In another month we should be ready to plant outside and I'm contemplating a raised bed type scenario using start and old alfalfa hay.

Back
Top Bottom