Stray Peahen (?)

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
We had a random peahen (I think) show up at our house last night. She was walking around our chicken/duck yard poking at the fence like she was trying to figure out how to get in. We have absolutely no idea where she came from and not sure how far peafowl can wander when they get lost. Our area is still relatively rural but we're familiar with neighbors who keep fowl and haven't seen or heard any peafowl in recent years. She's currently in a large fenced yard by herself and seems pretty happy in there.
I got a few pictures of her in a tree last night and wondered if someone here might be able to tell me if this is in fact a peahen. I know very little about peafowl so I don't know how to tell the difference between a peahen and a peacock who has dropped his tail feathers. I'm guessing peacocks have spurs like roosters...right? She doesn't have spurs. She does appear to have a broken middle toe on one foot though. I can't tell if it's newly broken or previously broken and healed crooked. I was looking at pictures last night trying to figure out what her color would be called but a lot of them look very similar.
DSC_0096.JPG
DSC_0078.JPG

We had a random peahen (I think) show up at our house last night. She was walking around our chicken/duck yard poking at the fence like she was trying to figure out how to get in. We have absolutely no idea where she came from and not sure how far peafowl can wander when they get lost. Our area is still relatively rural but we're familiar with neighbors who keep fowl and haven't seen or heard any peafowl in recent years. She's currently in a large fenced yard by herself and seems pretty happy in there.
I got a few pictures of her in a tree last night and wondered if someone here might be able to tell me if this is in fact a peahen. I know very little about peafowl so I don't know how to tell the difference between a peahen and a peacock who has dropped his tail feathers. I'm guessing peacocks have spurs like roosters...right? She doesn't have spurs. She does appear to have a broken middle toe on one foot though. I can't tell if it's newly broken or previously broken and healed crooked. I was looking at pictures last night trying to figure out what her color would be called but a lot of them look very similar.View attachment 3134656View attachment 3134659
It is a Peahen. Looks like a Black Shoulder Peahen.

It is a Peahen. Looks like a Black Shoulder Peahen.
Thank you! That definitely looks like her. Do you happen to know how far they can wander? I would think her people want to find her. I don't know of anyone with peafowl within about a mile radius of us. She seems very comfortable in the yard she's in currently. She's been walking around pecking at the ground doing normal fowl stuff. A few of our ducks went over to nap near the fence that separates the main fowl yard from where she is. Then she went over and laid herself down next to the fence too. She seems quite comfortable with the ducks but runs behind one of the coops when the chickens make noise, almost like chickens make her nervous.

They can wander many miles. Can you put up some found ads at your feed stores and animal shelter?
I was planning to contact the feed store to see if they knew of anyone with peafowl. Would I need to take her to the animal shelter for them to try to find the owner? Our shelter is probably at least 25 miles away. Actually, I have no idea where it is, I know what town it's in but don't know the town well at all.
If she's been wandering for a while that might explain why she seems so content relaxing in the yard. Maybe she's been wandering for a while. She did seem pretty happy to find a yard full of birds even though they're not peafowl. Or it may have been the invisible beacon that somehow attracts strays to our yard. We've had stray cats on our deck looking in the windows at us at night lately. I'm pretty convinced there's a sign written in some sort of universal animal language that says "Suckers live here!"

Your animal shelter should have a form you can fill out, no need to take her there. And make a "found peahen" flier. She's a unique color, so do not put that in the flier or found form. The person that's missing her should be able to tell you what color she is.

Your animal shelter should have a form you can fill out, no need to take her there. And make a "found peahen" flier. She's a unique color, so do not put that in the flier or found form. The person that's missing her should be able to tell you what color she is.
This is probably also an odd question, but are peahens usually very quiet when they're in strange/new environments? I've always been under the impression that peafowl are quite vocal and very loud. This little lady hasn't made a single sound since she's been here. Our birds (chickens and ducks) are rarely quiet so a bird who doesn't want to talk is odd. Maybe she's not talking because there's no peafowl for her to talk to?

Back
Top Bottom