Struting turkey poults

a1ejan9ra

Hatching
May 1, 2015
Hello,

I have a question for anyone that has raised turkey poults. It is my first time raising them and I noticed that some of the poults like to "strut (see below)" when they want to be held. Can this behavior be used as a means to sex them? I tried to search online and only found one case were a person mentions the it and links it with sex. In that case (N=1), the poult turned out to be a hen. Does anyone have more insight into this behavior?

Thanks

Last edited:
Your image isn't showing. Hens will display but usually only as adults. If your poults are displaying they are probably toms.

One of mine has been doing that since a few weeks old, again just when he's coming up to be held. He turned two months old today and so I still don't know sec but his legs are thick and heavy I'm inclined to say he. Hopefully I remember to post back when I know for sure for the future readers.

My gobbler started strutting pretty much around the same time he was fully feathered. He was a bit bigger than yours but he is an artesian gold. He gobbled for the first time today that I heard. I got him early April from southern states during their chick days.

Back
Top Bottom