Stubborn Biting Chicken

EmRose

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 21, 2012
Knox County, IL
Hi,

Mini, who I've talked about in past posts, is one of the toughest chickens I have despite her size, but she's been gearing some more of that aggression toward me lately.

None of the girls have started laying yet, but we can tell it's going to be really soon. They've been noisy, aggressive, more interested in the nest boxes, digging holes, and some are even squatting. Mini has always been aggressive but now she's taken to biting.

Just today when I was putting them up for the night I tried pushing her away from the door and she bit my sleeve and tugged at it. When I gave her a flick and a shove, she came back angrier and ruffled. And it doesn't matter how many times I "bite" her back, she just takes it as a challenge. She's gotten my fingers several times now.

I can understand if this is a temporary moodiness because of the changes going on, but are there other ways I can make sure this doesn't become a habit of hers besides "biting" back?

Oh wow, I don't think Mini is that bad but that certainly is entertaining. Lol. At least Tiny was friendly during the day. Mini yells at me at all hours; as soon as she catches sight of me I can hear her squawking from across the barn yard. She's a loudmouth grump. Haha.

Oh wow, I don't think Mini is that bad but that certainly is entertaining. Lol. At least Tiny was friendly during the day. Mini yells at me at all hours; as soon as she catches sight of me I can hear her squawking from across the barn yard. She's a loudmouth grump. Haha.
They do tend to get moody right before they start laying, and much much louder. I find they are always loud just before they have to lay an egg. Can you imagine going into labour every day? I'd bite too! :lol:

Hopefully it's just a phase! :fl

Back
Top Bottom