Stupid, Mean Rooster! How Do I Stop This Overbreeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I'm confused and feeling a bit judgemental. You have a coop, but no run. Does this mean you keep your chickens inside the coop all the time? If so, is there enough space for all of them to move around freely? Do they get any sunshine? If you free-range them all day, is there enough outside space for the hens to avoid the rooster? Is there anywhere besides the coop to shelter from the weather?
You have no access to wood or wire. No way to cage the rooster separately. I'm wondering if you are a kid with no money to spend on these chickens. I guess if your dad pays for everything, then he gets to call the shots, but my impression is that your family's chicken-keeping practices aren't the best. Sorry to be critical, but...
Also, if you aren't raising chicks, why do you have a rooster in the first place? I hope you and your dad both understand that a rooster isn't necessary if all you want is eggs. :)
***Sorry, I see you've gotten rid of your rooster. That's good, but I still have the same questions.

I'm confused and feeling a bit judgemental. You have a coop, but no run. Does this mean you keep your chickens inside the coop all the time? If so, is there enough space for all of them to move around freely? Do they get any sunshine? If you free-range them all day, is there enough outside space for the hens to avoid the rooster? Is there anywhere besides the coop to shelter from the weather?
You have no access to wood or wire. No way to cage the rooster separately. I'm wondering if you are a kid with no money to spend on these chickens. I guess if your dad pays for everything, then he gets to call the shots, but my impression is that your family's chicken-keeping practices aren't the best. Sorry to be critical, but...
Also, if you aren't raising chicks, why do you have a rooster in the first place? I hope you and your dad both understand that a rooster isn't necessary if all you want is eggs. :)
***Sorry, I see you've gotten rid of your rooster. That's good, but I still have the same questions.
My chickens are free ranged, they have a big area to walk around and grass to pick at, he just kept on following them everywhere. He was a meat chicken so gender didn't mater, that is why we had a rooster. I know that you don't need roosters for eggs, I have raised three flocks in my life. Yes, there is a lot of shelter from the weather and a few areas that the hens can use to avoid the rooster, that still didn't help them when they wanted to graze. Also yes, I know that my family doesn't practice chicken care, that is why I'm here, I love them very much and I try to make their lives the most comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom