Stupid, Mean Rooster! How Do I Stop This Overbreeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to get saddles for my hens. My rooster was damaging their backs. The saddles did help. You can get them from amazon.

I have this meat chicken and he overbreeds his hens. Two of them got slashes and I can't do anything. My dad refuses to bring to the slaughterhouse and refuses to allow them to get killed. For real though, they are over one years old! :rant (What I dream of -> Me ->:smack<-Dad)
What do I do to prevent the roo from mating with the hens or at least preventing his claws from slashing into the hen when he slides off? I can't put them in a different area, I can't kill him, and I can't fix him. Can I put something on his legs to slow his speed, allowing the hens to run away? Tie his tail into a certain position to prevent him doing "the kiss" and thus discouraging him to breed? Punish him everytime he mates? (<- that one is kinda crazy) Lock him out of the coop for a bit, and then letting him in at night? What do I do? I can't bear the hens getting worse. I also spray their wounds with animal friendly, sting free disinfectant but it can't solve everything. I also put aprons on the hen, but he would tug them off and jump onto them. I need help!
I made two little aprons that go on the back, around the hens neck and snap under the wings, photo attached.
henApron.jpg

My dad decided to handle with the rooster yesterday when he found out that it attacks me. He is no longer here.
So, it sounds like your rooster problem is taken care of, if I’m reading this right? Thanks for working to take proper care of your birds, despite the challenging family situation. I’m hoping that your flock is happier now and that you are able to enjoy poultry keeping.

I hope you have a good Older Rooster to take his place protecting the hens. Since I tolerated their hormones, and kept the spurs clipped short on my first roos, the roosters keep the roos in line. Once you make it to having a couple of older mature roosters, they will keep these youngsters from abusing the girls. Until you get a older Rooster that can teach those little roos some manners, all you can do is keep those spurs clipped.

I hope you have a good Older Rooster to take his place protecting the hens.

No, you made it quite plain that your were not raising chicks and you do not need another rooster. Roosters protecting hens is a myth. Some might, but positively not most. You don't need another rooster beating up the hens and attacking you. Sorry that your Dad is such a jerk with this. I had a Dad like this and it was his way of manipulating the family and making him feel powerful and in control. Try to take care of your hens and do not involve your Dad. If you have questions, ask on here. You will not be able to get fencing for cages or separating birds so do not do or say anything to encourage him (or yourself) to get any more birds. For him to say "If you ask again about it, they will all be killed." is a nasty way to be in control. Nothing you can do about this until you are old enough to leave there and live on your own. In the meantime, practice taking care of the ones you have there so you can get more later in life when you run the show and can do what you want.

Yup, rehome or disbatch him. I’d be concerned he’d turn on you as well. Mean roosters are dangerous and there’s so many of them you should only keep the nice ones. My polish is an awesome guy and is kind to the girls and humans, and not too mean to my old Dutch bantam roo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom