Suddenly nervous chickens?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My flock has always been pretty laid back, nothing bothers them.
For the last week or so they've become a bunch of nervous nellies. They stick to the woods pretty much all day. They still come running if they think I have treats, but let me move ever so slightly and they all scatter.
It's bothering me.
DH says it's just the weather or change in barometric pressure or whatever.
I'm wondering if they didn't have a predator scare that I don't know about.
Anyone ever experience a sudden change in temperment of their flock?

They are 14 LF brahma - a roo and 13 hens. They will be 2 years old in April. They free range all day.

mine did that so I watched and it was a hawk I've lost 3 hens to them so far. And my cousin Dave next door has lost almost all of his fancy pigeons

Mine will sometimes do that too. I find that before, after, and during a moult, it brings out the very skittish sides of them that I never see. Eventually they warm up to me again, and creep back. But for a while, they get 'socially awkward' and never quite look at me without a nervous glare.

May they have finished thier English to Chicken correspodence course, and now understand your "Lay an egg or its in the pot for you threats."
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Quote:
Aww, the girls lay well and I have no complaints in that dept. I sure don't like this new skittishness though.
sad.png

I bet they saw a pred. If they are hiding by the woods..i bet something is overhead... Keep an eye out.

We have had the same problem lately, just last week I had 3 of my chickens killed by a hawk and it seems he is just going after my pullets and I wish I could take care of this bird .

My wager is on a hawk.
My hens will hide under the honey suckle hedgerow for a day or two after a hawk attack. Fortunately in 16 years at my current place I have only lost one hen to a redtail..

Back
Top Bottom