Suggested dog breeds to protect chickens

kittydoc

Songster
Apr 18, 2012
Near Indianapolis
We are pondering whether to get an outdoor dog for greater security (mostly from humans, but also predators). I know every dog is different from 20+ years as a veterinarian, but I am sure some breeds are more likely to work out than others. Suggestions on breeds to consider and avoid appreciated. Also, I assume training a pup would be better than an adult dog. TIA!

If you have a dog proof fence in central Indiana ( I am from southern Indiana), then large dog not needed to deal with feral dogs. Make certain you have dog that is half again as big as your coyotes which is bigger than I enjoy. More than one dog advised but stagger acquisition. I have used almost exclusively hunting dogs but training is required in a big way although that gives flexibility not possible with breeds typically advocated. For minimal investment and the ability to tolerate cold I suggest English Shepherd or Australian Shepherd but always more than one when dealing with coyotes.

If you go the large livestock guarding dog route the dogs need not be fancy papered but they will still need work to do something they were not bred for. Even a mix will do.

In the end this will not be about dogs only, rather fencing and roost location, and ranging habits will all be issues to consider. Also chicken breed and how you manage.

I would have to agree with Centrarchid in that ones flock management styles are more important than the breed of dog that is used to protect the flock. With that said I avoid that sporting breeds pointers and flushers as the genetic "wiring" is working against you. My experience is that a large working breed aka Livestock guardians are a fine choice. I own two great danes who are sweet hearts. The extent of their training was when they were young, 10 months or so, they were introduced to day old chicks. I picked up a chick and held it up to the dog's face and waited for the reaction. My female went to mouth the chick so immediately "NO! Be eeeaaasssy..... its a baby. Easy girl." That was it for my female she has never tried anything after that first day. The male was a little more work as he enjoyed running into the middle of a bunch of birds just to scatter them as a pup. Silly but naughty. Scolding each time was the cure. He is very sensiative. Now days they both lay out and survey the pasture, meander around the property, and greet all intruders with an alarm bark-howl. The male is fawn and I feel a greater predator deterant as he is more visible than the female who is a merle.

Back
Top Bottom