How to train young dog not to eat chickens?

Aww man...
I was considering the zap collar idea. I think I would have to hide in a bush and observe for a lot of time till she felt that she was alone and zap the moment I thought she was thinking naughty thoughts.
A lot of people are telling me that this blood thirst is just so hard to break... Sad to hear :( But dogs are dogs in the end and duck is delicious.
Thanks for your input!
"blood thirst" isnt a good term. I've heard it used a lot, in incorrect ways. This isnt some uncontrollable blood thirsty drive like some make it out to be-- its just nature. They have a prey drive, they're just doing what is natural to them, and its fun to them.

People may disagree with me, but shock collars are not a good training tool. They dont teach, they build a negative association with the behaviour. Its not comfortable, its not humane. Dogs can learn, and be excited about working-- youd be amazed by the stuff you can teach them, and they enjoy it. Training with positive reinforcement is the best way to go imo. People are moving away from using things like this, theres better ways to get through to your dog that dont involve making them uncomfortable, or causing fear or pain.

And honestly, regardless of what method you choose, I'm not sure she should be trusted again, at least not unsupervised, since she is ok when you're there. Like I say, I trained my dogs to leave wildlife, but I would not trust with my ducks, because they have killed before.

years ago I worked many hours aday, everyday. I had 2 dogs and started killing my chickens. I used the neighbors advice and tied a chicken around each of the dogs neck. 5 days later took them off, washed the dogs. They never bothered the chickens again.

Now years later the land by was divided and I have a neighbor with dogs. I think he uses shock collars on his dogs. I see him outside working with dogs quite often. His dogs will not chase the chickens and in the summer I pasture cattle the dogs will not go close to the cattle.

I failed miserably at this. It was the yard birds that finally figured out the solution..... stay well away from that dog and jump in the water or fly up into a tree if need be.

years ago I worked many hours aday, everyday. I had 2 dogs and started killing my chickens. I used the neighbors advice and tied a chicken around each of the dogs neck. 5 days later took them off, washed the dogs. They never bothered the chickens again.

Now years later the land by was divided and I have a neighbor with dogs. I think he uses shock collars on his dogs. I see him outside working with dogs quite often. His dogs will not chase the chickens and in the summer I pasture cattle the dogs will not go close to the cattle.
a dead chicken tied to the dog?
Im sorry Im confused as to how this helps

Back
Top Bottom