Sumatra Thread!

You will frequently find spurs on American and Oriental game fowl. Our one line of cubalaya has them. It looks quite unique to have a multiple spurred hens growing spurs. They don't grow like the roosters spurs, but they do get longer than the non growing spurs. Kinda like a bit of a glob on their legs.

You will frequently find spurs on American and Oriental game fowl. Our one line of cubalaya has them. It looks quite unique to have a multiple spurred hens growing spurs. They don't grow like the roosters spurs, but they do get longer than the non growing spurs. Kinda like a bit of a glob on their legs.

i have a phoenix hen with extra long sharp spurs too, i had to cut it once !! , mostly like her rooster , very desirable trait on phoenix !

As stated above by Dsfrango, blacks tend to be more common, but your location can play a role in the colors you find sumatras in. Specially ones of better quality than a hatchery.

My comment wasn't so much towards color as it was for finding good quality and a pullet/ hen, as most people are more willing to sell extra cockerels/ cocks or pairs (male/female) than just pullets/ hens. And that's in all breeds from what I have seen.

Hello I don't own any Sumatras but am highly interested in them I have lots of other chickens and other fowl but I want to know these birds temperaments and habits and overall care of this breed thanks to anyone that replies :D

I have a blue Sumatra pullet and she's won my heart since day one. They have such wonderful personalities, but like people, everyone has a different personalities. My pullet is shy but doesn't want to leave you alone or be alone. I know a roo where I rescued her from who was shy but when you picked him up and held him, he'd fall asleep like a ragdoll cat. he loved to be held unsidedown which was a bonus since i'm studying veterinary sciences and I had to clear up some mites! :)

Back
Top Bottom