Sumatra Thread!

Are sumatra's the only breed of chicKen with black combs? I have a pullet who is supposedly a BSL but her comb is black and looks like it's either a pea comb or cushion comb.

She also has a black face but white skin, and black legs.

Are sumatra's the only breed of chicKen with black combs? I have a pullet who is supposedly a BSL but her comb is black and looks like it's either a pea comb or cushion comb.

NO, there are svart hona, most breeds of cemani have a black comb as well, oh and silkies

and bsl have red combs

Last edited:
NO, there are svart hona, most breeds of cemani have a black comb as well, oh and silkies

and bsl have red combs

Thanks! Yeah I'm slightly confused as to what she is, she started out with a yellow comb but then it turned black and has stayed black and it's not a single comb lol

I was wondering if Sumatra's are one of the breeds that carry a lethal gene. My breeding stalk is healthy I only incubate good quality eggs, never wait long then 7 days before the eggs go in the incubator. So far I have had 98% fertility rate, Every egg that is fertile full develops then the chicks seem to die in the shell with out piping. I keep my humidity at 45% during the first 18 days, and bump it up to 60% for the last 3 days. I keep the temp at a steady 99*F. I have broken open the eggs 6 days after the expected hatch rate. there are no deformities, none are under developed, they don't appear to have drowned or be facing the wrong way. So I was wondering if Sumatra's carry a lethal gene or not.

Never been a fan of Sumatras but I hatched two chicks for my new chicken lover friend. I hate how flighty they are - Ive have so many Sumatras and have only had one sweet and cuddly hen
1f602.png

They sure are cute babies, though! I can't wait to sex them

All three of my Sumatra's are very friendly. They all come when called and jump up on a roost when I tell them to. I can pick up each of them with out a fuss, lay then on their backs, and spread their wings and play with their feet. I don't find them to be an aggressive or flighty breed. However that could be because I read and sang to them well they were eggs incubating so they got used to my voice, same as how a mother hen clucks to her eggs sometimes and when they are hatching. Once mine hatched they were also handled daily.

@redrodeo I had my broody Serama hatch the two and I try as often as I can but they run and scream and completely hate me
1f602.png
I do try often. One of my chicks my other broody Serama hatched I had spoken to when it pipped and picked him up from the start and has no problem being held. His/her brother takes off from me as well despite my consistant handling since hatch but I guess it's just personality!

Do any of you live in, or know any one who has Sumatra in Ohio? I have a black Sumatra rooster but none of my hens are sumatra. Would prefer blue, but black would be fine. Only want one or two and don't need to be show at all. I'd be happy with a couple cull hens

Do any of you live in, or know any one who has Sumatra in Ohio? I have a black Sumatra rooster but none of my hens are sumatra. Would prefer blue, but black would be fine. Only want one or two and don't need to be show at all. I'd be happy with a couple cull hens

Meyer hatchery supposedly has chicks. They would be hatchery chicks if still available. They are in Ohio, you could call and see, probably have to order a minimum if shipped.

Daughter-in-law bought a pair off someone in Cincinnati back in the spring, paid $50 each, both survived and were half grown birds when they went to pick them up. However, I do not know contact info on them.

Last edited:
Trying to catch up here, it's been awhile since I've logged on. I went to the Central Maine Poultry show this past weekend and did well with my Sumatras. AOSB. There was one other guy with 5 Sumatras himself that looked pretty good also.

Back
Top Bottom