Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Quote:
My Platinum boy is from a breeder in Utah, so I think these Khaki birds are from an unrelated line. The seller does live in FL.

The two Black hens I have are also from two different sources, I'm hoping this will be enough genetic diversity for awhile.

Quote:
Beautiful birds! El Diablo is one nice-looking bird. Too bad he's no longer with you. Was he killed by a predator or something and that is why he died so young?

He was killed by mold. We went away for a couple weeks and left the birds in the care of a family member who was supposed to clean cages and such. We got back to a couple cages with moldy bedding in them because the windows were left open and it had rained. A week or so after we got home he had died. But his legacy still lives on in most of the scattered sumatra/ oriental game bird mixes in the area

man that stinks, been there done that though. That's why with so many here to take care of every day, I just cant stand to be gone for more than a weekend, even then by Sunday I'm worried to death about them. 600+ is a bunch to trust to someone else.

I remember the days of having tons of breeder birds. At the time when we used to have El Diablo we had a large flock of sumatras, BLRW's, polish, araucanas, EE flock, and lots of layer birds and side projects. The year he died we had over 1000 birds here and were going through 2 ton of feed a month. Now we are down to a manageable number. I think according to my chicken math we only have about 50 chickens, 15 ducks, 5 pheasants, and the pair of peafowl but there could be more chickens than that, I am just afraid to count

I just got my Khaki eggs!

IMAG0296-1.jpg

Sorry about the crappy picture, I just snapped it real quick with my phone. These eggs are going in the incubator tonight around midnight.
big_smile.png

Happy Christmas to me!
wee.gif

Pictures of my Platinum Sumatra cockerel today, he's almost 7 months old now.

He normally holds his tail a bit lower, he was agitated because I was practically in the pen with him and his girls, sticking a camera in their face.

IMG_5705.jpg

Check out how yellow the bottoms of his feet are.
smile.png

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

His tail makes a wide upside down V, I'm really happy with this. I'm hoping the hens he's with produce offspring with correct horizontally held tails.

IMG_5719.jpg

Back
Top Bottom