Sumatra Thread!

Between NWSumatras and Infnityhrt/FlyingMonkeypoop I could drool up a lake. I do think
if I still lived on the left coast I would hunt you down for some birds, but
I'm on the right coast now and I just don't like to ship birds......too many
horror stories have been heard.

Thanks for sharing pics and please keep doing so. It helps me to see
good birds so I know what to look for in mine.

Last edited:
I've got a big shocker (well, for me) that draws me to this thread. I've got a Sumatra hen that's gone broody! Out of four, only one is broody. But still, she's sitting tight for four days and counting, now (nights too)!

[COLOR=008000]Between NWSumatras and Infnityhrt/FlyingMonkeypoop I could drool up a lake. I do think[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]if I still lived on the left coast I would hunt you down for some birds, but[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]I'm on the right coast now and I just don't like to ship birds......too many[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]horror stories have been heard.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=008000]Thanks for sharing pics and please keep doing so. It helps me to see[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]good birds so I know what to look for in mine.[/COLOR]

oh my! You are too funny. I really like looking at pictures too. This is definitely a beautiful breed, and I like it when people share pictures.

Now on another note. ..I feel you are the lucky one, you are closer to the biggest shows for sumatras and amazing breeders too. Im not going to disagree with you about Infnityhrt and her family. They do have very very nice birds, and I do look forward to joining them at the shows.

oh my! You are too funny. I really like looking at pictures too. This is definitely a beautiful breed, and I like it when people share pictures.

Now on another note. ..I feel you are the lucky one, you are closer to the biggest shows for sumatras and amazing breeders too. Im not going to disagree with you about Infnityhrt and her family. They do have very very nice birds, and I do look forward to joining them at the shows.
I have just this past year or so started visiting some shows here in NC and only seen
sumatras at one of them but some of those lovely birds were amazing. I also got to
meet and chat briefly with Richard Schock as he was showing that day some of his
sumatras and minorcas. I'm not sure if I want to show or not but I sure can Oooo and
AAahhhh at those things. Mr. Hanley......LangshanMan is hinting at getting us to show
as well so maybe he can teach me and convince me at the same time.

[COLOR=008000]I have just this past year or so started visiting some shows here in NC and only seen[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]sumatras at one of them but some of those lovely birds were amazing. I also got to[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]meet and chat briefly with Richard Schock as he was showing that day some of his[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]sumatras and minorcas.  I'm not sure if I want to show or not but I sure can Oooo and[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]AAahhhh[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]at those things. Mr. Hanley......LangshanMan is hinting at getting us to show[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]as well so maybe he can teach me and convince me at the same time.[/COLOR]
Showing is always fun, even if you don't win, just hanging around with other poultry folk or clerking with a judge to learn more is a lot of fun and the more you show and learn, the more you will enjoy and appreciate the hard work many breeders put in their birds. When I first started out I visited a couple shows bug now I'm hooked and I try and attend around 3-6 APA shows a year and a lot of 4-H shows.

[COLOR=008000]I have just this past year or so started visiting some shows here in NC and only seen[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]sumatras at one of them but some of those lovely birds were amazing. I also got to[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]meet and chat briefly with Richard Schock as he was showing that day some of his[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]sumatras and minorcas.  I'm not sure if I want to show or not but I sure can Oooo and[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]AAahhhh[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]at those things. Mr. Hanley......LangshanMan is hinting at getting us to show[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]as well so maybe he can teach me and convince me at the same time.[/COLOR]

You should show, it's a lot of fun. (While you're at it get some bantam Langshans from Wil, they're really nice)

You should show, it's a lot of fun. (While you're at it get some bantam Langshans from Wil, they're really nice)
I had gotten into showing horses, Arabians, many years ago and just did not
like it. I'm way too old for 4-H but thanks for idea Zach.
Wil is a sweetheart and seems to be willing to be helpful. I did join the local/area
poultry club but if I do decide to show do I have to join the APA or is that already
done through the poultry club? I'm looking forward to maybe getting to help with
the show they put on in Smithfield.

[COLOR=008000]I had gotten into showing horses, Arabians, many years ago and just did not[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]like it. I'm way too old for 4-H but thanks for idea Zach.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]Wil is a sweetheart and[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]seems to be willing to be helpful. I did join the local/area[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]poultry club but if I do[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]decide to show do I have to join the APA or is that already[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]done through the [/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]poultry club?  I'm looking forward to maybe getting to help with[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]the show they put[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]on in Smithfield.[/COLOR]

You don't have to be a member of anything just to show. I do recommend joining at least the APA to support them but you don't have to to show.

Showing poultry isn't like showing any other species. Generally a lot more laid back. At least it is out here.

Back
Top Bottom