Sumatra Thread!

Kinmera, wyandottes have rose combs, not pea combs. They are small but totally different structure than a pea comb.

x2 If you look close you should see the leader on the back of the wyandottes rose comb that you won't see on the pea comb of a sumatra.,

There are some blue sumatra breeders in NY. If you are willing you could wait till this fall and go to the Ohio Nationals and see them in person.

Dsfango (sp) on here is breeding black to blue which would give you black and blue offspring. From there you would just need to cross two blues together to hopefully get some splash. Breeding blue to blue gives you blue, black, and splash offspring (splash being the lesser percentage of the three colors). Once you have splash you would breed them together to get only splash offspring.

I'm sure others could help out with more information. Good luck.

x2 If you look close you should see the leader on the back of the wyandottes rose comb that you won't see on the pea comb of a sumatra.,

There are some blue sumatra breeders in NY. If you are willing you could wait till this fall and go to the Ohio Nationals and see them in person.

Dsfango (sp) on here is breeding black to blue which would give you black and blue offspring. From there you would just need to cross two blues together to hopefully get some splash. Breeding blue to blue gives you blue, black, and splash offspring (splash being the lesser percentage of the three colors). Once you have splash you would breed them together to get only splash offspring.

I'm sure others could help out with more information. Good luck.
Thank you for posting the information! I am familiar with the black to blue/blue to blue/splash to splash guidelines because I had been doing research on breeding blue, black, and white orpingtons - which I want to use for my main laying flock to meet demands of customers.

I'm willing to wait until the breeders have the birds available. I am not sure however if I can make the trip to Ohio Nationals - as much as I desperately want to go. I do go to the Twin Tier and Rochester Shows though - maybe someone will show up there.

Picture time! :) This is an updated photo of one of my now 5 month old pullets.

Like I said earlier my spring blues were a wash. You can see what I mean. Here is one of the blues. She is about 4.5 months, and still missing half her tail as most of my babies right now.

This one I will keep for a male only breeding line.

I believe he is almost 4.5 months old. I pulled what little tail feathers he had because they got ruined during the move. He should be interesting to see once they grow back.

Random pic

This is mr ugly escape artist, he has managed to sneak out of every single cull box so far. That deserves a picture in my book. :)

Thanks,
Katrina

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I see what you mean on the lacing, but it's better then most of what I have seen on birds that other people have. Learned something new today, thanks. Good luck with your next batch of blues.

Does anyone have some good photos of black Sumatra chicks? I need to figure out which 9 of 30 are the sumatras and which are the blue/black orpingtons.

Quote: I understand that, wish I could go as well, but life always seems to happen
lau.gif
. Good luck with your orpingtons and the hunt for the right birds for you.

I haven't even seen photos of White Sumatras. Other than the Bantam's that one hatchery has.

I figure it never hurts to experiment though. I'm a 4-H leader and firmly believe in "Learning by Doing"

Back
Top Bottom