Sumatra Thread!

Come home after being gone most of the day to find out that my place had been hit by a young pitt bull and some mixed breed dogs. 2 polish hens dead in their pens, my broody blue project polish and a silver laced. One of my silver laced roosters gone. But the worst was my main sumatra pen ...TOTALLY EMPTY except for the one mixed breed hen who is a grand daughter off of my first sumatra rooster.

Followed the feathers across the road to one dog's house and the people tell me that they got one black hen out of another neighbor's pitt bull's mouth and put her on my back steps. I check everywhere and find the polish rooster coming out of the woods and into the field beside my house. I mange to chase him down through the woods without killing myself. Now that I think about it, it's nice to know that I can still chase down my supper if I ever need to. Not that I want to repeat that anytime soon!

I then found one of my dun sumatra hens in the garden. My son was walking in the side yard looking for birds as a black sumatra hen jumped out of a tree. I found another black sumatra hen in the front bushes.

I had to give up the hunt for birds/ bodies and tend to the wounded birds. Most the polish made it out without injuries. A few silver laced hens have some rips in them and one hen's side is filled with air. One rooster busted off one of his spurs. The sumatras that I caught seem ok for the moment, will have to look closer at them in the morning, as dusk was heavily upon us. All the birds are very stressed. Lost eggs from the broody polish and from my broody dun sumatra, even lost a turkey egg in the silkie pen that is beside the sumatra pen. My guess is the silkies also got to going with all the ruckus going on beside them and managed to break the egg.

Even with all the birds I did manage to find, I was still missing the one bird that I wanted back the most (even over all the hens), my dun sumatra rooster. Being almost dark, I came in the house, hoping to find the rest of my sumatras in the morning, including my dun rooster. After a few minutes there was a knock at the door, it was the mute neighbor man. He flapped his arms and pointed across the road towards his trailer. We go over and there is what looks like a hen, as I get closer I can see that it is my dun rooster! My kids and I manage to catch him up, and after a few death screams and biting I give him a quick look over and put him in with his hens (in a cement pen this time so no digging in till their pen is fixed).

Come morning I will see what other hens show up and I'll be fixing pens with a gun close at hand.

Here's hoping I don't lose any to stress from all of this.
Sorry,
hugs.gif
that could almost be traumatizing. Hopefully more of them will show up for you.I am glad to hear of the Sumatras that escaped, I am not surprised that so many of them did get away from the dogs, that is a trait that I highly admire in the Sumatra (the ability to escape a predator) even after all these years having been kept by show breeders, backyard breeders or otherwise.

Come home after being gone most of the day to find out that my place had been hit by a young pitt bull and some mixed breed dogs. 2 polish hens dead in their pens, my broody blue project polish and a silver laced. One of my silver laced roosters gone. But the worst was my main sumatra pen ...TOTALLY EMPTY except for the one mixed breed hen who is a grand daughter off of my first sumatra rooster.

Followed the feathers across the road to one dog's house and the people tell me that they got one black hen out of another neighbor's pitt bull's mouth and put her on my back steps. I check everywhere and find the polish rooster coming out of the woods and into the field beside my house. I mange to chase him down through the woods without killing myself. Now that I think about it, it's nice to know that I can still chase down my supper if I ever need to. Not that I want to repeat that anytime soon!

I then found one of my dun sumatra hens in the garden. My son was walking in the side yard looking for birds as a black sumatra hen jumped out of a tree. I found another black sumatra hen in the front bushes.

I had to give up the hunt for birds/ bodies and tend to the wounded birds. Most the polish made it out without injuries. A few silver laced hens have some rips in them and one hen's side is filled with air. One rooster busted off one of his spurs. The sumatras that I caught seem ok for the moment, will have to look closer at them in the morning, as dusk was heavily upon us. All the birds are very stressed. Lost eggs from the broody polish and from my broody dun sumatra, even lost a turkey egg in the silkie pen that is beside the sumatra pen. My guess is the silkies also got to going with all the ruckus going on beside them and managed to break the egg.

Even with all the birds I did manage to find, I was still missing the one bird that I wanted back the most (even over all the hens), my dun sumatra rooster. Being almost dark, I came in the house, hoping to find the rest of my sumatras in the morning, including my dun rooster. After a few minutes there was a knock at the door, it was the mute neighbor man. He flapped his arms and pointed across the road towards his trailer. We go over and there is what looks like a hen, as I get closer I can see that it is my dun rooster! My kids and I manage to catch him up, and after a few death screams and biting I give him a quick look over and put him in with his hens (in a cement pen this time so no digging in till their pen is fixed).

Come morning I will see what other hens show up and I'll be fixing pens with a gun close at hand.

Sorry about your birds.
hugs.gif

Good idea, take a extra sec. to aim and get it right the 1st shot, then just dig a hole in the garden.
hide.gif
But I didn't say that outloud!

Scott

Thanks for all the well wishes, time will tell to how many I lose to this. I have to admit though that after 12 years at this place I have only had one other predator attack. In that attack I only lost a broody silkie and her clutch of eggs. Up until today, my biggest lost was to the human kind years ago, before I put all the birds under lock and key.

I also love that trait about the sumatras, Troyer. It's also why I was looking up in to the trees hoping to find them.

I think I'll have the kids bake some cookies at some point for the mute neighbor as a thank you to him for looking for my birds.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Thanks for all the well wishes, time will tell to how many I lose to this. I have to admit though that after 12 years at this place I have only had one other predator attack. In that attack I only lost a broody silkie and her clutch of eggs. Up until today, my biggest lost was to the human kind years ago, before I put all the birds under lock and key.

I also love that trait about the sumatras, Troyer. It's also why I was looking up in to the trees hoping to find them.

I think I'll have the kids bake some cookies at some point for the mute neighbor as a thank you to him for looking for my birds.

Hope everyone has a great week.

So sorry to hear of your loss. "domesticated" predators are always wose than the wild ones. They only kill for fun, not food so it is usually carnage. So glad you had so many cme home.

Well, I managed to catch the remaining lost sumatra hens this morning. So that just leaves the 2 dead polish hens as a loss so far. All the other birds seem to have made it through the night.

Sorry to hear about that! Way back when I was a kid, I was attacked by a pit bull and still have the scars to show.

I hope your birds are ok otherwise.

Sorry to hear about you being attacked as a kid. I hope it didn't leave you scared of dogs as well. Not that mine was near as bad as yours, but I have been bit by a stray pitt bull that I had found on the side of the road. He was a great dog with kids, cats, and little dogs, but once he got near my medium sized dog, he flipped out and went into attack mode and ended up biting my foot. I had him put down as I knew he couldn't make it out in the public. Even after this incident, I would still stop and pick up any stray pitt or any other dog for that matter and try to find them a home. I have had two pitts myself and they were the goofiest dogs I have ever owned and sweethearts.

I don't think it was the breed of the dog, I think it was more a case of the pitt pup (looks about 4 months old and I have never seen before) was tagging along with the older brown mix breed dog (who I have seen before and is also under a year old but older then the pitt) and they found some squeaky toys.

Glad to see you post some, hope all is going well with you and your birds.

Back
Top Bottom