The judge with my sumatra cockerel.

Me and my Sumatra cockerel

Me and my trophies

Me and my sumatra hen

My sumatra cockerel rosettes

Wow raph....CONGRATS!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Maybe your chicken house needs to be more coon prof, and possibly put a lock on every door!
Oh, they haven't gotten into the outdoor coop. But I had one break into my garage and kill 6 week-old chicks I had in a brooder out there last year. Ever since then I have a sworn vendetta against the beasts. I saw a second one earlier in the summer hanging out on our back porch, but it hasn't been around lately.

So do sumatra teens chill out at some point?

I have 6 not-quite-2-month-olds that I got as "yard candy" to go along with my production birds. Yesterday I was taking them out to show the kids how big they've gotten since we moved them to the grow-out coop. The other teens flapped around for a second when I first grabbed them, but settled down for pats. The sumatra screamed like a hawk and wouldn't quit flapping. I'm out there twice a day to feed/water/socialize with all the poultry, and all 6 arrived together. I saw the pics of the kid with his at the show (congrats on the wins, btw) and his look so calm...

I don't make pets of mine, so mine aren't handled much. Most of mine scream and flap some, maybe even bite once or twice, but after that they calm down. I do have some that keep it up until they are loose again, even have one young pullet that is very hard to catch by hand (got to use a net to catch her).

Last edited:
Here is a pic of her:

The other chicks protest too, but they calm down right away once you get them in a comfy position. My Polish (who is very flighty when you first grab her) will nestle her head in the crook of your elbow and hide. This little booger screamed the entire time until we put her down, and even then she eyed us most suspiciously.

Back
Top Bottom