Sumatra Thread!

Thanks guys
I really don't know my next show. All te fair books came out like this week so I haven't been able to look at them. Their is a goat show this Tuesday. A goat and rabbit show on July 26th. Rabbit show on August 6 and some other shows. I probably will not show my poultry until the NJ 4-H state show unless another show pops up.
You could always make the trip to bath, ny in September for twin tiers or Mumford ny in October for Rochester :). You could even sell some birds there bc I'm going to be Sumatra shopping!

Quote:
Good luck with that. What do you have to do or know to be able to judge 4h shows?
You have to know poultry and be amazing with kids. Most 4hers show hatchery chickens at least to start and the best judges remember that. Last year there were only 6 non hatchery birds at our county fair - out of 60 entries. Hopefully zach can encourage some future breeders! You also have to be willing to practically volunteer your time. Smaller fairs just don't have money to pay what they really should.

Last edited:
You could always make the trip to bath, ny in September for twin tiers or Mumford ny in October for Rochester :). You could even sell some birds there bc I'm going to be Sumatra shopping!
September is really hard for me I hve the state 4-H poultry show on the 13th and an ARBA show the next weekend. What day is it in October? I have Sussex which is the 18th I think and a ARBA/APA show in Lebanon Valley PA. I always wanted to hit up the NY shows.

As for judging the 4-H show you have to have a nice amount of knowledge. I have been judging that show for a couple years and it is a lot of fun. Since my sister and I have been clerking with Judges for many years and we are hoping to become judges one day it is a great learning experience and also a lot of fun to help others who are showing poultry learn more. I think I did well judging last year because the birds I picked for champion and reserve LF were reversed at the state show with Tom Kernan judging and a bantam I picked for best in show won best bantam hen at state show out of a class of over 30. I like to think I have a good eye but u never know every judge has a different opinion on a different day. That's why I love showing and judging so much because u never know who will win until the last minute the winner is chosen.

September is really hard for me I hve the state 4-H poultry show on the 13th and an ARBA show the next weekend. What day is it in October? I have Sussex which is the 18th I think and a ARBA/APA show in Lebanon Valley PA. I always wanted to hit up the NY shows.

As for judging the 4-H show you have to have a nice amount of knowledge. I have been judging that show for a couple years and it is a lot of fun. Since my sister and I have been clerking with Judges for many years and we are hoping to become judges one day it is a great learning experience and also a lot of fun to help others who are showing poultry learn more. I think I did well judging last year because the birds I picked for champion and reserve LF were reversed at the state show with Tom Kernan judging and a bantam I picked for best in show won best bantam hen at state show out of a class of over 30. I like to think I have a good eye but u never know every judge has a different opinion on a different day. That's why I love showing and judging so much because u never know who will win until the last minute the winner is chosen.
The show in Mumford is the first Sunday. They have a youth show on sat and the open show on Sunday

The twin tier show is sept 6/7 I'm waiting on info for both

My son has been judge by Zack his sister and his mom. They are outstanding people and follow apa standards by the book. Not only do they have alot of experience and knowledge of many breeds I mean many many breeds. Most important thing I notice they do not favor other people as a judge and you can not do that and they sure don't. They go by the best birds and the apa book. Trust me they have more then enough Know how to judge birds and handle them. The are extreamly polite and very nice people they are good humans for this. To give time and knowledge to help out others, 4-h kids is above human standards and we know alot of people won't lift a hand for free or to help someone like they do. Keep up the good work and have alot of fun. I include a picture of my sons 4-h winnings 2013 only and the rosettes were presented to him from Zack his sister and mom, so they know there stuff and again are OUTSTANDING People.
God Bless

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words. We enjoy judging and helping people learn.

@Kimnera As for the shows in NY I will look into them. Thanks for the dates. The Sussex show is October 18th in NJ an that is a great show with a nice amount of birds. If you want to come down I will have some Sumatras for sale

I just sold out of sumatra's specking of selling birds. I may or may not be selling sumatra's at the APA national in Knoxville, we will see. I will for sure be selling Silver spangled hamburg bantams. In case anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom