Sumatra Thread!

At the moment I don't have any plans for her. I haven't gotten all the materials to build separate pens just yet, so she's mixed in with the rest of the flock. She's not good quality, so there's probably not much I can do with her.
There is nothing wrong with just enjoying a pretty bird laying
eggs for you or just being a pet. I'm glad you get to enjoy the
personality of a sumatra.

Quote: That's what my whole flock is about: enjoyment. Eventually I'd like to be able to do something with my birds, but until then, I hatch out a few of the mutts every once in a while, just to see what I get. I bought them to be pets, so I only cull cockerels I don't need or are aggressive.

I actually tend to give away some of the pullet mutts I've hatched, plus the large excess of eggs I have. I don't really care if they give me a return on my money. I enjoy walking my Silkie on a leash and having people look at me like I'm crazy.

I'm curious to see what chicks I get now that I'm having my year old bantam Cochin rooster culled (he's recently decided to be human-aggressive). My remaining cockerels are a Buttercup bantam, a SL Polish, a "Thai" mutt of some sort (looks to have Sumatra in him), and a young "Saipan" mutt/knock-off.

Back to Sumatras: I had my first confirmed sighting of my 3 month old cockrel crowing this morning. I though I had heard him before, but I saw him today. We had 4 cockrels of different breeds from the hatch and two of the others are so vocal, I don't think he could get a crow in. We gave away the one that crowed the most Friday so I guess he is finding his voice.;)

Back to Sumatras: I had my first confirmed sighting of my 3 month old cockrel crowing this morning. I though I had heard him before, but I saw him today. We had 4 cockrels of different breeds from the hatch and two of the others are so vocal, I don't think he could get a crow in. We gave away the one that crowed the most Friday so I guess he is finding his voice.
wink.png
Good luck with your new rooster
tongue.png

Good luck with your new rooster :p .

Thanks! I can't wait to see how he grows out. We have a mixed flock so he is mainly for eye candy and not breeding but I so enjoy watching and listening to the different breeds. The cluck my Sumatras have is so distinctive. My girl is talking all the time. I have no problem knowing where she is when they are out because I can hear her. She will also come up and visit with me. Very friendly. The Cockrel, hr does not want to be touched and we often hve a bit of a chase if he isn't ready to return to the en after free range time is up.:rant

Quote:
we use chihuahua Harnesses. You can adjust it to the chickens size.
I use cat harnesses, as long as the ones I have fit right with the bird. For a leash I had some baling twine sitting around (I was looking for something that was extremely lightweight), and I just tied a clip on the end that I also had sitting around.

Some birds absolutely will not tolerate having a harness on. I'm sure if you gave them enough time, they would get over it, but I don't make mine wear them if they completely hate it.

Back
Top Bottom