Sumatra Thread!

The only nasty roosters I have are a bantam white faverolles rooster Because he is rare and none of his sons are yet to turn out like him and I need him for my breeding project and my blue Sumatra bantam rooster but his lacing is awesome and he is really helping my blues develope. I have a black bantam Cochin that used to be mean but he is an old man now and trys to go after you but gets tiered easy. I got him from a friend who had to move and he showed very well so I thought I should just let him live out his days with like 5 hens in a big pen.

Yes, I think it would be interesting. The charts that show structure use a generic chicken, I'd love to see how the Oriental and others with similar body styles differ from the generic. Some differences I can see but some I can only guess. A skeleton would be a great learning tool on any breed IMO.

I must have got my dates wrong for the Sumatra x game eggs. This morning I went out and let out all of the chicken and then I came back up to the coop where I have my broody Sumatra hen. So I went to lift her of the nest and I heard chirping. We have one little chick and one more is pipping, so fingers crossed we should get a good hatch!

Talking of aggressive birds, my dad bought some hatching eggs on line, they were silver laced Wyandottes, copper black Marans, Appenzellas and Araucanas. They grew up into a rather odd flock. All of the hens that hatched were excellent, they layed well they looked nice enough, they were not aggressive, but they did roost in the trees so allot of them were eaten by the fox. Where as the cockerels were an odd bunch. There was a silver laced wyandotte called wayne, and he was so aggressive, he would chase you around a huge Field and he would spur you. I haven't seen such a aggressive bird before. There was two copper black maran cockerels. One was called Hitler because when he walked he didn't bend his legs, and Hitler was only aggressive towards my step mum. The other copper black maran had a squirrel tail, but he wasn't aggressive. None of the birds from those eggs are alive now but they were an interesting bunch to watch!

Has any one else had birds which don't bend their legs when they walk?

Hi,

I am looking for some Sumatra black/blue eggs. I need two dozen to send to a friend in Java. I will bear the risk. I have a packing box to use that I will be happy to send the seller. We can use my DHL account and I will pay the postage.

Than you for your time and patience,

Canebeds

I really don't know of many who are breeding sumatras this late into the year but mine are
laying....sparsely at best. I do not have enough laying to come up with that many eggs in 3-4
days. You may have the best luck with local eggs if you are shipping to Java and hoping for
them to hatch. If you can get eggs no more 3-4 days old before you ship, that would be best.
Good luck and hope you find some.

Last edited:

This is one of the gamex chicks that hatched on the 19th of July

My coop is getting there

This is one of the chicks that hatched yesterday, all of these chicks have single combs!

Quote: I'm not familiar with that breed, so not sure if we did or not. There was one tiny white rooster that had won a ribbon, OMG was he cute. Cock-a-doodling at everyone that walked past his cage. ROFL. The chihuahua of the chicken world. I had never seen adult bantams before, no idea they were sooo tiny...trying to convince DH we can sneak a few in to our already full run. Sigh. Chicken Math.

Congrats on the chicks Raph, how many did you get? I know your game rooster is dubbed, but do you know what type of comb he had? A lot of games here have single combs, but there are others with different types of combs.

Your house is looking good. Is your brother helping you any with it?

Back
Top Bottom