Sumatra Thread!

Quote: I'm not familiar with that breed, so not sure if we did or not. There was one tiny white rooster that had won a ribbon, OMG was he cute. Cock-a-doodling at everyone that walked past his cage. ROFL. The chihuahua of the chicken world. I had never seen adult bantams before, no idea they were sooo tiny...trying to convince DH we can sneak a few in to our already full run. Sigh. Chicken Math.

Faverolles have 5 toes, a single comb, muffs and beard, and feathered shanks. Not too long ago (with in the last couple of months) a friend of mine showed me his bantam langshans. I have to admit, I was surprised at how big they were. That's when he told me that most people think all bantams are small (just a pound or two) but a bantam is suppose to be 1/3 the size of the large fowl size (if I remember right, been asleep since then). But some bantams are cute, just not for me.

Congrats on the chicks Raph, how many did you get? I know your game rooster is dubbed, but do you know what type of comb he had? A lot of games here have single combs, but there are others with different types of combs.

Your house is looking good. Is your brother helping you any with it?
The game cockerel had a single comb, From the first three chicks i hatched we have one single comb and two pea combs. From this hatch now we have five chicks so far and i can hear one more in a egg. We have four single comb chicks and one pea comb chick.

My brother has helped me put it up and take it down, but i find when im building it is easier to do it by myself. But some times i get mum to lend a hand.

Faverolles have 5 toes, a single comb, muffs and beard, and feathered shanks.

Not too long ago (with in the last couple of months) a friend of mine showed me his bantam langshans. I have to admit, I was surprised at how big they were. That's when he told me that most people think all bantams are small (just a pound or two) but a bantam is suppose to be 1/3 the size of the large fowl size (if I remember right, been asleep since then). But some bantams are cute, just not for me.
I think I missed them then. I was looking for muffs/beards because I was also hoping to see Americaunas (I have a blue one) but I didn't see any.

Someone asked about dewlaps on Sumatra's. (under the chin). Raven posted and was correct. .I think it was on this thread. The APA SOP says that a dewlap on a breed that does not call for a dewlap is a defect..not a DQ. It would be a 1/2 to 1 point deduction. The neck line of a Sumatra should be a clean line with nothing hanging from the neck.

Walt

Someone asked about dewlaps on Sumatra's. (under the chin). Raven posted and was correct. .I think it was on this thread. The APA SOP says that a dewlap on a breed that does not call for a dewlap is a defect..not a DQ. It would be a 1/2 to 1 point deduction. The neck line of a Sumatra should be a clean line with nothing hanging from the neck.

Walt
I'm a little confused, who's Raven? There's no post by a Raven about the dewlaps.

hi i'm new to the breded and am trying to learn. i seen on the show sumatra fb page about this and am now comfused about this. here is what was said on it there. i put in red were i am confused as it goes aginst what you just said about being clean with nothing hanging. could you please say which picture shows the better throat area?

Raven Myers
August 3 at 2:37pm · Edited
If anyone tells you that the standrad does not describe the throat tell them to read it carefully. Look at where it says neck. It says throat full, that is important facts. If I see a clean Almost as if The bird had a Face lift I don't see a full throat. It also ruins the shape of the head.

LikeLike · Share

• Seen by 58
    Kyle Tripp likes this.

• Remove
    Le Jardin Chinois Could you give us a pic example of what you mean, both good and bad ??
    August 3 at 2:39pm · Like

• Remove
    Raven Myers Ok I am going On a hike Right now But once I get back home I promise you I'll get some good examples.
    August 3 at 2:42pm · Like · 2

• Remove
    Le Jardin Chinois OK, I havent known for over 20 yrs, so a few more hours wont matter that much. Have a fun hike.
    August 3 at 2:48pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Remove
    Raven Myers This splash hen is a good example of what a full throat looks like and how it helps the shape of the beak and head. In the standard the head description is short and round. the beck description is short,stout, and well curved.

August 3 at 10:34pm · Like

• Remove
    Raven Myers Now this throat is not good. when she's clean to me she looks like she had a face lift. See what a major effect a full throat has on the shape of the head and beak. On this hen the beak is much longer, and narrower. The head is a lot smaller, narrow, and not even close to being as round as the hen up above. I hope this helps you understand. :)

August 3 at 10:47pm · Edited · Like

hi i'm new to the breded and am trying to learn. i seen on the show sumatra fb page about this and am now comfused about this. here is what was said on it there. i put in red were i am confused as it goes aginst what you just said about being clean with nothing hanging. could you please say which picture shows the better throat area?

Raven Myers
August 3 at 2:37pm · Edited
If anyone tells you that the standrad does not describe the throat tell them to read it carefully. Look at where it says neck. It says throat full, that is important facts. If I see a clean Almost as if The bird had a Face lift I don't see a full throat. It also ruins the shape of the head.

LikeLike · Share

• Seen by 58
    Kyle Tripp likes this.

• Remove
    Le Jardin Chinois Could you give us a pic example of what you mean, both good and bad ??
    August 3 at 2:39pm · Like

• Remove
    Raven Myers Ok I am going On a hike Right now But once I get back home I promise you I'll get some good examples.
    August 3 at 2:42pm · Like · 2

• Remove
    Le Jardin Chinois OK, I havent known for over 20 yrs, so a few more hours wont matter that much. Have a fun hike.
    August 3 at 2:48pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Remove
    Raven Myers This splash hen is a good example of what a full throat looks like and how it helps the shape of the beak and head. In the standard the head description is short and round. the beck description is short,stout, and well curved.

August 3 at 10:34pm · Like

• Remove
    Raven Myers Now this throat is not good. when she's clean to me she looks like she had a face lift. See what a major effect a full throat has on the shape of the head and beak. On this hen the beak is much longer, and narrower. The head is a lot smaller, narrow, and not even close to being as round as the hen up above. I hope this helps you understand. :)

August 3 at 10:47pm · Edited · Like

Well...she does not have it right here. The Sumatra does not call for a dewlap.....a full throat does not mean a dewlap. Anytime a bird is required to have a dewlap it is noted as such....dewlap. The splash she posted appears to have a dewlap. The illustration of the Sumatra on page 220 of the 2010 APA Standard shows the way the throat should look.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom