Sumatra Thread!

I have two pullets and have been asking for a cockerel for quite a while now.

When nobody has a spare cockerel to sell, I'd say that's rare.

Hello peeps, this has probably been discussed at length already but could someone give me a once over of pros and cons of Sumatras and point me towards someone who might part with some blue and or white hatching eggs?

@Chrysolinsbirds Hello! Sumatras are amazing and stunning. Some pros are their beauty & independence but at the same time my blue hen follows me around relentlessly! She is quite flighty though. Also Ive never seen a Sumatra lay a blue egg. They lay only off white eggs. They come in blue which is almost like a pigeon then black which is so dark they give off a beautiful green tint. :)

Last edited:
A very few sumatras lay a blue egg, I don't have any of these. Sumatras also come in black, blue (SOP accepted varieties), splash, dun, khaki, white, and some other project colors (these are not SOP accepted varieties). I don't know if there is any white sumatras in the US, but over seas has them. Sumatras are generally pretty docile birds, that when handled regular aren't flighty. When not handled, they can be flighty and may even bite you when you catch them, or scream. They do tend to go broody and are great at free ranging. My only con is that in the wet season the males tails drag through the mud.

Being that you are from CA, there are a few sumatra breeders in your state and in the surrounding states. Good luck.

@Chrysolinsbirds Hello! Sumatras are amazing and stunning. Some pros are their beauty & independence but at the same time my blue hen follows me around relentlessly! She is quite flighty though. Also Ive never seen a Sumatra lay a blue egg. They lay only off white eggs. They come in blue which is almost like a pigeon then black which is so dark they give off a beautiful green tint. :)

A very few sumatras lay a blue egg, I don't have any of these. Sumatras also come in black, blue (SOP accepted varieties), splash, dun, khaki, white, and some other project colors (these are not SOP accepted varieties). I don't know if there is any white sumatras in the US, but over seas has them. Sumatras are generally pretty docile birds, that when handled regular aren't flighty. When not handled, they can be flighty and may even bite you when you catch them, or scream. They do tend to go broody and are great at free ranging. My only con is that in the wet season the males tails drag through the mud. 

Being that you are from CA, there are a few sumatra breeders in your state and in the surrounding states. Good luck.

Thanks for the intell =) a breeder found me and they aren't to far away either, so yay. I would absolutely love blue eggs but I was on a search for a large white layer that would raise chicks and be up to dealing with the big hawks around here. As well as being gorgeous running around my little orchard and fields. The only birds I have that I'm not worried about hawks are my Barred rocks and that's only thanks to Boone who also is a great chick protecter. I hit the jackpot when I got him from cacklejoy =) never any infertility problems with his girls ;)

Are there any Sumatra breeders in SC, NC or GA? Is there a breed club that has a breeders list?

I've been visiting poultryshowcentral.com a lot. Its not specific for Sumatra's but it is a great place to go for any SQ birds. There are a few Sumatra breeders on there including me. There's a few sections like swaps and shows also.

Back
Top Bottom