Summer heat causing aggressive behavior?

Shamo Hybrid

Crowing
Jun 6, 2018
I've got these Oriental Gamefowls that I've reared since day 1 through incubation....... they've always bickered and squabble here and there but recently 2 of the hens have been going at it non-stop, neither refusing to back down! I couldn't catch their first fight in time and one of them were on the ground laying on her back for who knows how long, thankfully I came in time to scoop her up and put her in a cage. But while recovering and still in the cage, the next day I went to check up on her and there were blood all over the cage, they were still going at it through the opening of the cage (which I have now blocked off all sides). There's just no backing down from these 2, reminds me of myself.... really. :D So right now I'm at a standstill, should I just release the one in the cage out and let them figure out who's the top hen? Early this morning I did try but they went at it again so in to the cage she goes again until I figure something out. Keep in mind, these aren't egglayers... they are purebred fighting top of the line hybrid killing machines!! And "NO" I don't fight them, I just like Oriental Gamefowls and had a few when I was a child so it's what I like. Anyway, being that they do have fighting pedigree in them, will it be unwise to let them duke it out seeing that neither is willing to concede?

You're sure these two scrappers aren't roos?

Trying to prevent hens from squabbling is a futile task. It's best to let them duke it out and settle who will get top rank. Unless you want to have a career as a chicken wrestling referee.

Regarding finding the loser on her back, sometimes, like humans, being hammered in a fight is going to deflate the loser of all confidence. The reaction to this is to lie there and give up. It's a temporary stress reaction. Just set her on her feet again with a few encouraging words, and she should be fine.

Rarely do hens inflict life threatening injuries. It can happen, but bloody combs and wattles are not serious injuries.

You're sure these two scrappers aren't roos?

Trying to prevent hens from squabbling is a futile task. It's best to let them duke it out and settle who will get top rank. Unless you want to have a career as a chicken wrestling referee.

Regarding finding the loser on her back, sometimes, like humans, being hammered in a fight is going to deflate the loser of all confidence. The reaction to this is to lie there and give up. It's a temporary stress reaction. Just set her on her feet again with a few encouraging words, and she should be fine.

Rarely do hens inflict life threatening injuries. It can happen, but bloody combs and wattles are not serious injuries.
Yes, I'm sure they are hens. The one laying on her back recovered somewhat, she's slowly healing but even still when I let her out this morning..... she went at it again with the other hen! There's just no stopping with these 2, it will eventually end up with 1 of them dying, I think. These are not egglayers, they are hybrid mixes of Thai/Shamo/Malay etc etc... basically fighting genetic strain which is why I'm unsure what to do as they seem to have no quit in them. It's weird though, I've had them for close to 5 years now and this has never happened, not to this degree anyway. I'm wondering if the heat has something to do with it, possibly making them uncomfortable and quickly agitated.

Back
Top Bottom