Super Easy Crock Pot Apple Butter

Hi everyone, I've read this whole thread and no where did I see the answer to my question. So I'm asking...Am I suppose to put the lid on the crock pot or leave it off? And how do I know when it's done? Just when the apples are tender, right?

I haven't made it yet, but do use the crock pot a lot, so I'll jump in and say to keep the lid on while making the apple butter. You could burn it out or cause it to overheat otherwise. I'd say as soon as the apples are tender is good - about 4-5 hrs.

At some point you have to leave the lid off, though, or the water won't evaporate and let it thicken up.

I did mine on the stove since I didn't have enough to fill my crock pot.

Is it mushy?
Is there lots of fluid in it?
Does it pretty much fill the crock pot?

If the answer is yes to those questions, then I'd take the lid off for a while.

Now how did you know all that was happening? lol Wow, it's going to be fun trying to keep my spoon from my mouth! It really looks good!
thumbsup.gif

We really do need a smiley that drools! Thanks for your help!

My lid stays on the pot.

I let it cook for 4 hours or so, then turn off, leave it to cool with the lid on. I blend it up till smooth once its cooled and then spoon into jars.

Quote:
How did it turn out? Are you happy?

Wildsky, I always take the lid off my sauce to let water steam away. How does the apple butter get thick with that much water in it?

Hey everybody, I made this recipe 2 times already and today I chopped up a whole pumpkin and dumped it in the crockpot with sugar and pumpkin pie spice! Hopefully by late this afternoon I'll have pumpkin butter! Will let ya know if it is a success or not! Great day all!
big_smile.png

oooh, sounds yum! Let us know how the pumpkin butter turns out. My husband still fondly remembers his grandma cooking pumpkin "in an iron pot, and it would turn almost black" (assuming by the way he says it that this was a good thing..
wink.png
I've cooked fresh pumpkin for him several times, but I just can't do it like Grandma did... :|

Back
Top Bottom