Surprised as the least likely ( rooster ) candidate takes charge!

WCflockers

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 7, 2013
Illinois
Hi. So, out of 10 Barred Rock Roosters and 1 Polish Rooster...one of them started crowing (approx at 9 weeks). It is the Polish! It sounds like an elephant dying,but I kind of like it. Anyway....my question is, is this normal for the underdog, singleton of the group to be the one who takes charge? Once I looked in the coop, he was roosting high and all the others were just still, staring up at him as he crowed. He is the last of the Roosters that I thought would be in this position, I would think a hen would even take over before him. Hehe. I truly adore him, but I am just shocked and puzzled by his position. Honestly, I am new to the chicken world, so I don't have a clue....just would love to know if anyone else has had an oddball, be the main guy? I do think that another rooster is starting to challenge slightly in the crowing department, but not really, I have only heard this other one a little bit, once in a great while. Also - we will not be keeping most of the roosters (if any). I was hoping to keep just one, but now that the one that seems to be boss is the skidish & silly polish, is he going to be able to warn and protect the flock?

You never know who will be the top rooster. It can be such a little thing that allows them to the top. Maybe his hormones started just a little sooner then the others. He could still be over thrown, when an other decides to challenge. Being skidish doesn't mean that he can't be on the alert for dangers.

My silver Sebright cockerel crowed for the first time at 7 weeks. It sounded kind of like a goose honk mixed with an elephant. He crows every once in a while, and none of my other cockerels have started yet. Some cockerels mature quicker than others, and sometimes it's not the one you expect! Lol
But as for your other question, I watch very carefully at what rooster I keep. I usually pick a pretty big one, that is a gentleman to his girls and I've seen sound the alarm in sight of danger. I have 2 roosters right now, a BR and an EE and they're both great at it.

Thank you for your answers! The first thought that went through my head when I was hearing the "crow" for the first time was is that a dying Elephant? (lol). His crow hasn't improved much, but - when I hear the other one crow, it sounds more traditional. hehe

Back
Top Bottom