Surviving Minnesota!

Got about 3/4 inch of rain yesterday . Some nearby areas got up to 4 inches . I hear pumpkins are starting to rot in the fields . Pumpkin harvest is about to start . We have 2 canneries within 45 minute drive . One in Princeville IL and one in Morton IL .

Decided to start blending and freezing the smaller amounts of tomato until I get enough to make it worthwhile . Need to pick tomatoes and mow today . That is if rain does not stop me . Predicted for afternoon .

Tried the KFC recipe that leaked out . Not the same but something to start tinkering with . Not enough salt , too much pepper and paprika .

Holm I forgot to congratulate you! Nice job!

And thanks for the compliments on the Dominiques, but it is not my doing it was all Duane Urich's, I just bought his eggs. I want to show them at Hutch but I am not sure how fair it is to buy his eggs and show them as my birds.

BTW to everyone else, I started a Mushroom thread. I see there are a few but they all died years ago. I thought I would give it a try again. So I am shamelessly promoting it to try and keep it going.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1130577/mushroom-foragers#post_17467780

Also peeps, my mealworm farm has taken off, they are coming out my ears! I'm beginning to spend more time on them than my chickens, no good!
I've listed them on craigslist, but for any of my peeps on here, you can have them for 1/2 price
smile.png

Mealworms

l would like some, please! I have been meaning to get some, and just haven't made it happen. I'll take 2000. I'll PM you. :D

Do the chickens peck at this?

Wouldn't painting it be counter-productive? Don't you want the silver to be reflective?
They really didn't pick. It's a plastic and it didn't seem to fascinate them enough. I will say though...that I think it was Cluckies who said her chickens were afraid of it at first. When I lined the coop with it....I did half and then two weeks later I did the other half. I think it did give the birds moments to pause and look at it differently. Ha. But overall I've been happy with it. You are right about keeping the shiny part shiny and reflective. or Refractive or whatever it's supposed to do. Last winter I would say it made a 10-20 degree difference. depending on the weather. Overcast/Sunny, etc etc.

Hey Ralphie this is my cousin's back yard . Yep banana trees in IL .
OMGosh. A banana belt in Illinois too?!? LOL. They must have them in pots and lift them out each fall to warmer conditions?

I wrote this before 7am. my cousin was going too pick me up between 7-7:30. He showed up about 5 minutes to 7 and I left, forgetting to post it..

I found my first "hen of the woods" today. We only found one, and I actually stumbled across it. I kept a small piece to try and sent the rest with my cousin.

gig.gif
I went to post a picture and it was the only one I did not take a picture of. Dumb me! I was so excited to find it I forgot to photograph it!
lau.gif

Above is an "Old Man of the woods" we were not sure and left it be, when we got home we were sure. My Cousin thought that's what it was in the woods but said they are not that good to eat. There appears to be no lookalikes..

The next two below, we have no idea never tried to find out, I just took the picture because it was "interesting".

These are some shelf mushroom, not edible but cool..

Another one simply took for the sake of the photo.

I thought the one above was an immature chicken. My cousin disagreed. He broke off a piece and it did not bleed milk. After I got back and looked I think it is a type of oyster and edible. I have not talked to him to tell him that. He might over rule me. It is 50 miles away so either way I doubt we will go back for it.

I am really enjoying mushrooming. I just wish I had started younger and was more sure of myself. I will be going slow. Thanks to Jerry and BC for getting me into this! I can't wait to hit Jerry's woods!

Judy is still ill today. I should have known better than to marry a Norwegian/polack. She is dumb and stubborn and not letting me take her to the hospital! I being mild manner and agreeable would go right away if she said she wanted to take me in....
ep.gif

Oh my major purchase.... I bought a plucker, a whiz bang type. It says on the box it will do 2- 8 pound chickens in 15 seconds! The boys are going to start disappearing this week.

So if you have chickens to pluck, I might be able to help you out!!! Also I am going to sell my smaller hand one.

Hopefully, I will make some kraut today.

And finally a mushroom picture I thought was just plain good looking...

TTYL..

For those of you not carrying about mushrooms ..sorry I drug on and one about them.

PS. I forgot to mention I found a chicken it was about 25 ft up in a tree. I thought because I found it my cousin should have to climb up and get it. He refused! I even offered to lift him up to the first branch.

Ralphie the ones with the scaly tops remind me of some photos I saw of Pheasant Back mushrooms once. But I believe Pheasant back comes out the side of upright trees. Presenting a bit like a shelf fungus as well. More googling for you mycologists.

The white one with the crumbly sides is gorgeous and unique. I've never seen one ever like that. I would post some of these on the Minnesota Mushroom Forum on Facebook. Mike on there would love the unique ones. He's a good guy too. He is looking for people who want to forage mushrooms for him and he'll sell them to high bidder restauranteers in Minneapolis. Just in Case you want to add that to your repetoire of side line jobs, Ralphie.
wink.png

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/...esota-state-fair-2016-day-2/?e=lNjIkrTsKwGPAQ

U have to look in the poultry part for my interview. Just thought I would share!
Holm: I'm going to sit down and watch this video soon. I almost asked DH to go to the fair because of the Poultry shows. Also my cousin was showing her cattle and did the draft horse/cart thing too. But I saw on the news the crowds....--bellybutton to buttholes there. Living where I live...I hate lines for food and lines for bathrooms. It doesn't feel efficient enough, LOL. Of course our kids are asking to go lately. Maybe should take them there at least once.... DH and I really enjoyed it when we did go there.

I worked a little this weekend. Kids worked too. Yesterday DH and I celebrated our 17th anniversary with a boat cruise around the lake with the kids and In Laws. Snacks. It was nice.

Saturday DH had a benefit golf tournament and banquet Saturday. And Again.....he WON THE TWINS TICKETS. The ones in the 3rd base dugouts! OMG. We are so excited. It was a fun experience we had down there as a family. And with the Twins currently winning as they have been...there should be no lines for food or potties. LOL. He was on a hot streak. He also won an Engel Deep Blue cooler. The thing is huge...heavy. It's like a YETI. And he won a high end pellet. Gun. Should be handy for coop patrol

I must have been out of it last night or this morning...one of the two. But I got up to go let chickens out ...and voila! They were already out. I hate that when I do that. I put the adolescents up on the roost (because the old hens keep them off--but then leave them alone once it's dark dark)...but then never closed the pop door. Too much on my plate or getting old. I think maybe both...? Crazy!

Wind blew early this morning...rain (which we did need) But now big blue skies out there.

• My Coop
Quote: They really didn't pick. It's a plastic and it didn't seem to fascinate them enough. I will say though...that I think it was Cluckies who said her chickens were afraid of it at first. When I lined the coop with it....I did half and then two weeks later I did the other half. I think it did give the birds moments to pause and look at it differently. Ha. But overall I've been happy with it. You are right about keeping the shiny part shiny and reflective. or Refractive or whatever it's supposed to do. Last winter I would say it made a 10-20 degree difference. depending on the weather. Overcast/Sunny, etc etc.

Quote:
Hey Ralphie this is my cousin's back yard . Yep banana trees in IL .
OMGosh. A banana belt in Illinois too?!? LOL. They must have them in pots and lift them out each fall to warmer conditions?

Yes she stores them in the basement . Tried to give me some but more work and no fruit . Deal breaker .

OK break time . Tomatoes are cracking from all the rain . So I picked again . 5 pounds of cherry tomatoes and some slicers . Had enough to do a batch of Mrs. Wages spaghetti sauce .. Turned out good . 3 quarts and a pint . So spaghetti soon . Holding until I get enough to process .

Not much to say here. My HIDA scan came back normal so we really don't know why I have the attacks that I do. Oh, well they do not happen weekly really so I am going to do more of a food diary and watch for triggers and see if there is anything there. Otherwise the Dr. wants to do a scope of my stomach. Not sure I want to go down that road. At least the Galbladder is functioning correctly.

Tornadoes south of us closer to our cabin on Lake Sarah but we only received .03 of rain last night.

More and more of our Bovan pullets are beginning to lay and they are not yet 18 wks. Weird, I still can't believe one started at 14 wks. That was just odd! Butchering Cornish Crosses on Friday. May half to a third depending on how things go and how many are around to help. The rest next week Friday.

I have to report back to work tomorrow. I have 40 preschoolers this year in my two classes. That is the most I have had so far. It should make for an interesting year. My kids sure are ready to get back to the school routine. Or maybe it is me! haha

Not much to say here. My HIDA scan came back normal so we really don't know why I have the attacks that I do. Oh, well they do not happen weekly really so I am going to do more of a food diary and watch for triggers and see if there is anything there. Otherwise the Dr. wants to do a scope of my stomach. Not sure I want to go down that road. At least the Galbladder is functioning correctly.

Tornadoes south of us closer to our cabin on Lake Sarah but we only received .03 of rain last night.

More and more of our Bovan pullets are beginning to lay and they are not yet 18 wks. Weird, I still can't believe one started at 14 wks. That was just odd! Butchering Cornish Crosses on Friday. May half to a third depending on how things go and how many are around to help. The rest next week Friday.

I have to report back to work tomorrow. I have 40 preschoolers this year in my two classes. That is the most I have had so far. It should make for an interesting year. My kids sure are ready to get back to the school routine. Or maybe it is me! haha
You may want to look into a LCHF diet. takes care of many issues, auto immune, leaky gut, ect. Diet Doctor

Back
Top Bottom